Spooky sailing concludes another season for Ely Sailing Club
- Credit: Archant
A spooky Halloween race day featuring a costume competition ended a successful sailing season at Roswell Pits on Sunday afternoon.
Four Handicap races were scheduled to take place for the thirteen competitors and two races were sailed in a light breeze.
The Laser sailors lead the fleet but lost out on corrected time.
Simon Leeks up graded his fourth line position to first and Kevin Bilham his fifth place to second, with Chandler Stamford in his Laser retaining his third position.
In the second race, Simon Leeks was victorious again but Jack Knight was reduced from first to second, and Kirk Stamford increased his last place to third in his Topper.
You may also want to watch:
After lunch the wind continued to drop and Simon Leeks won for a third time, with Kevin Bilham second and Chandler Stamford third. As the wind had practically died, the fourth race was not sailed and competitors counted their best two positions.
Commodore Alayne Seymour presented the special skeletal prizes to the winners, who were as follows: 1. Simon Leeks 2 points; 2. Kevin Bilham 4 points; 3. Jack Knight 6 points.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
Ending the afternoon was a Halloween costume competition, with the prize being shared between Steve Board who dressed as a skeleton and his three year old daughter Catherine who donned a witches costume.
The club’s final event of the year - its annual Laying Up Supper and Prize Giving - will take place in the club house on Saturday November 14. Tickets can be reserved by phoning 01354 662661.