Spencer double act sparks Witchford

DIVISION 2B WITCHFORD 96 became the first team to lower the colours of leaders Hemingfords United Reserves in the league this season, winning Saturday s away match by the odd goal in three. The visitors weathered an early storm, and then took the lead wh


WITCHFORD '96 became the first team to lower the colours of leaders Hemingfords United Reserves in the league this season, winning Saturday's away match by the odd goal in three.

The visitors weathered an early storm, and then took the lead when Aaron Spencer latched on to a flick-on by Robbie Scarrow.

Ross Spencer immediately doubled Witchford's advantage with a bullet header, and although Hemingfords pulled a goal back before the break, they were unable to preserve their unbeaten league record.

Sutton United continued their goal-spree with a 9-1 victory against a Pymoor side struggling for both players and form.

Matthew Keys opened the scoring with a blistering 20-yard drive, and the striker eventually helped himself to four goals as the visitors were put to the sword.

Most Read

Substitute Sam Oliver also grabbed two for the hosts, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Johnny Few, Russell Mansfield and Wayne Newman.

The Vine won 4-1 at Isleham United in this section, but Stretham Hotspurs suffered their fifth league defeat in a row, going down 4-0 at Needingworth United Reserves.


LITTLEPORT Town returned to winning ways after manager Dave Cullum gave his players a pre-match ultimatum.

Cullum felt that some of his players were simply going through the motions, and told them in no uncertain terms that their places were in jeopardy.

"I considered resigning after recent results," said the 'Port boss, "but then decided that if someone was going to leave it was would not be me. I said that if we had to go backwards to go forward, then that was what we would do."

The players responded with one of their best performances of the campaign however, with Will Ludbrooke scoring four times in a 6-2 win over Needingworth United.

Nigel Smith broke the ice after just two minutes with a sensational 25-yard volley, and David Beeton restored 'Port's lead with a thumping header after the visitors had briefly got back on terms.

Ludbrooke then scored twice either side of the break to put the result beyond doubt.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves claimed their third win in succession as Scott Fretwell claimed a hat-trick in the 5-2 demolition of Somersham Town.

Fretwell's first-half opener was cancelled out before half-time, but he struck again in the first minute of the second half and subsequent saves from Gavin Wiseman proved crucial as Stephen Bell eventually made it 3-1.

The visitors went further in front before Fretwell completed his three-goal contribution in the closing stages.


SOHAM United dropped into the bottom two for the first time this season after suffering a disastrous 4-2 defeat at Grampian.

The Haverhill-based hosts scored either side of the interval, but Ben Brown scored direct from a corner and Jason Parker made it 2-2 from the penalty spot after a foul on Dan Simmons.

United seemed to have done enough to earn a point, but a defensive lapse let Grampian in with six minutes remaining and they scored again in stoppage time to make the points safe.

Craig Dorn was the lone scorer for Littleport Town Reserves as they crashed to a 7-1 defeat at Castle Camps - a result which put the winners on top of the table.


ELY City Reserves and Fordham both departed from the Premier League Cup at the Quarter-Final stage.

City led 1-0 against Cambridge University Press in midweek thanks to a header from Andrew Lee, but conceded two goals before half-time to go down 2-1.

Fordham lost 2-0 at home to Eaton Socon in the same competition, whilst in the Percy Oldham Cup there was an odd-goal-in-five defeat for Haddenham Rovers in their visit to Helions Bumpstead.


LITTLE Downham Swifts handed Ely Crusaders only their second league defeat of the season as Gareth Draper grabbed a hat-trick in a 5-0 win.

Draper and fellow striker James Statham - who scored twice - were in unstoppable form, and were ably supported by a midfield quartet of Scott Holmes, Luke Williams, John Bartlett and Phil Wakefield.

Goalkeeper Karl Nobbs also did well for the visitors, but on the downside Scott Fuller suffered a broken foot which will keep him out of the side until the new year.

Luke Wilson (3) and Chris Silvain (2) helped Mepal Sports to a 5-1 victory at Cottenham United A, but there were defeats for Haddenham Rovers Reserves (2-0 at Bluntisham Rangers Reserves), Fordham Reserves (3-0 at Lakenheath Reserves) and Soham United Reserves (7-2 against their Huntingdon United RGE counterparts).

Aaron Lee and John Brooks were the consolation scorers for United in that match.


WICKEN Amateurs extended their unbeaten run to six matches with a hard-fought 2-1 defeat of Milton A.

Jamie Palmer broke the deadlock on 38 minutes after Sam Richardson's shot was parried by the goalkeeper, and Richardson grabbed a late opportunist winner after Wicken had hit the bar twice.

The Amateurs were nevertheless grateful to goalkeeper Matthew Barber, who made three fine saves when the hosts were under the cosh.

Burwell Swifts maintained their 100 per cent league record with a 3-0 victory over The Vine Reserves, but Littleport Town A went down by the only goal of the game at Swavesey Institute Reserves.


BURWELL Swifts Reserves and Little Downham Swifts Reserves both drew 2-2 on Saturday.

Burwell shared the spoils at Longstanton Reserves, whilst Downham had to settle for a point in the home clash with March Rangers Reserves.


ALL of Sunday's action took place in the VB Trophies League Cup, with Ely Park Rangers, Wilburton Albion and QPR Ely all progressing to the Third Round of the competition.

Brady Stone (2), David Cornwell (2) and Rory Hutton were amongst the scorers as Ely Park Rangers won 8-2 at Little Downham United.

Wilburton meanwhile drew 3-3 at Newnham Rangers after extra-time, but won a penalty shoot-out 5-4 to go through.

QPR Ely beat Jockeys 2-1 in their Second Round tie, but there were away defeats for Village Inn and Wicken Maids Head.

Village Inn missed a late penalty as they went down 2-0 at Coton, and Wicken went down by the odd goal in seven at Drayton Lions.