Speedy Carly races home in new personal best time
CARLY Wilson smashed her personal best time for 13 miles by a staggering four minutes with a time of 39:12 at the latest Ely and District Cycling Club s weekly time trial meeting. In a hugely successful evening for the club at the technical circuit course
CARLY Wilson smashed her personal best time for 13 miles by a staggering four minutes with a time of 39:12 at the latest Ely and District Cycling Club's weekly time trial meeting.
In a hugely successful evening for the club at the technical circuit course of Sutton - Earith - Haddenham, David Block annihilated his previous best time by 3:58 to record 34:51.
Another youngster with huge potential, Tom Sykes, put in a strong ride to secure third place with 32:15, more than three minutes faster than his last outing on the course.
Sykes is improving at an incredible rate and is expected to be pushing the top riders to their limits.
Tandem team Ceila and Colin Whitechurch took more than two minutes off their previous time with a blistering 30:32, the fastest ride of the evening.
The fastest time for a solo rider went to Alan Newark who just pipped Ely star Geoff Brewster by a mere three seconds with 31:08 to 31:11.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 9 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 10 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
The next event for the club has been designed specifically to encourage new riders by offering an easy circuit of just four miles through Witcham & Mepal.
Participants can opt for one or two laps of the friendly course depending on ability and determination. Specialist equipment is not necessary, merely a bike with brakes and an enthusiastic rider attached.
If you would like to have a go, get along to the Elean Industrial Estate, Sutton at least 15 minutes before the official start time of 19:15. All are welcome. For more details visit the website, www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862
Results: (1) Alan Newark 31:08, (2) Geoff Brewster 31:11, (3) Tom Sykes 32:15, (4) Marc Cox 33:04, (5) Philip Peacock 33:13, (6) Andy Stephen 33:52, (7) Cliff Loveday 34:05, (8) David Block 34:51, (9) Malcolm Robinson 34:57, (10) Martin Holland 35:13, (11) Richard Winrow 35:41, (12) Nigel Leadbeater 36:20, (13) Eddie Green 38:10, (14) Carly Wilson 39:12, (15) Ray Jolly 39:55 ,(16) Harvey Leadbeater 42:34 (Tandem) Colin & Celia Whitechurch 30:32