SPEEDWAY: Mildenhall Fen Tigers hold on to see off Young Lions U21s
- Credit: Archant
Some of the brightest young talents in speedway put on a thrilling show as Mildenhall Fen Tigers edged the Young Lions U21 yesterday.
The Fen Tigers were fully tested by their opponents but managed to hold on to seal a 48-41 success.
Heat one set the tone as guest Joe Jacobs passed both Liam Carr and Kyle Bickley to record an opening heat win.
A stylish pass from John Armstrong on Alfie Bowtell in heat three had the crowd on their feet before Danno Verge and Bickley served up a fantastic battle in heat five for third place.
With Carr falling on the fourth bend the Fen Tigers took their first 5-1 of the afternoon and two heat advantages in heats six and seven saw the home side move seven points ahead.
Heat eight saw an electric gate from Luke Ruddick who stormed to victory in the fastest time of the day but with Jack Parkinson-Blackburn and Carr settling into the meeting, the Fen Tigers couldn’t shake off their opponents.
Five of the last seven races were shared as the seven point lead was held and heat 15 looked like turning into the race of the afternoon as both Carr and Parkinson Blackburn passed Jacobs before Carr bailed out for a second time and the race was awarded.
- 1 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 2 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 3 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 4 Man facing eviction fears 'absolute disaster' despite council help
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 8 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 9 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 10 Army assault course brought back to former glory at Waterbeach Barracks
Fen Tigers team manager, Robert Henry, said: “This was a very useful run out for the lads.
“It is important they keep getting track time especially with Friday at Lakeside being called off.
“I continue to be impressed with Danno, Luke and Sam who are scoring their points every meeting at home now.
“All of them seem to been enjoying their racing and improving week on week. The team spirit remains very strong and today again this was clear to see, they stick together and the atmosphere is very positive.”
The Fen Tigers host Belle Vue this Sunday.