Sparkling start to 2015 for Ely cross country runners
- Credit: Archant
Athletics The beginning of the cross country season proved to be a very successful affair for Ely pair Hollie Parker and Rebecca Daniel.
Hollie competed in the under 20s girls’ event for her club, Cambridge and Coleridge, at a cold and foggy Prior Park in St Neots and performed well enough to take a silver medal, while also collecting a gold medal in the overall team event.
Rebecca was also in action for club, West Suffolk AC, at Ickworth Park where the weather conditions were bright and sunny but crisp under foot.
Rebecca, a year young for the under 15s event, ran an excellent tactical race sitting behind the leader for the majority of the event but using her strength and pace to great effect in the closing stages to take gold in an exciting finish.
Rebecca’s first place ensured that West Suffolk AC took home the team gold above a talented Ipswich Harriers outfit.
You may also want to watch:
Rebecca’s victory qualifies her to race in the Virgin London Mini Marathon in April, in which she will race the county champions from the rest of the UK over the last three miles of the London Marathon course on the morning of the main event.
Head of athletics at King’s Ely, Richard Powell, said: “Rebecca continues to progress as an all-round athlete and her victory was most encouraging. Hollie, though not 100 per cent fit, ran a fine race. Both girls could have an excellent cross country term in preparation for the Athletics season.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident