Solid start to the season for Matt Eley
- Credit: Archant
Cycling Ely & District Cycling Club rider Matt Eley showed a clean pair of wheels to club colleagues as he took second spot in the first time trial event of the year.
A group of 33 riders took to the start line at Mepal for the two laps of the circuit, which took in Sutton, Witcham and back to Mepal.
Visiting rider, Max Sahota, from St Ives CC, took the overall win from Eley, recording a time off 18 mins, and 14 secs, with Eley coming home in 18mins, 16secs, the fastest host club rider.
Rory Havis came in third in 18 minutes and 29 seconds. The first time trial of the season will be one to forget for John McAndrew, as his crank arm snapped, sending him over the handlebars.
Fortunately, the crash only resulted in some cuts and grazes.
You may also want to watch:
In the tandem section, Colin and Julian Whitechurch came home in 20 mins 5 secs. In the two-up section, Lee Desborough and Shaun Holron, both from St Ives CC, recorded a time of 18 mins and 12 secs.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station