Soham Town Rangers to take part in Cambridge United’s ‘Football Family Day’ to raise money for Joey Abbs and Shaun Whiter
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers will be one of five teams to take part in a Football Family Day organised by Cambridge United to raise money for two local footballers who were left with serious injuries after a hit and run.
The SkyBet League Two side have invited the local clubs to the fundraising day which is aiming to add to the £87,000 raised for Greens player Joey Abbs and Newmarket Town’s Shaun Whiter have started their rehabilitation following the crash on July 1 which led to Shaun’s legs being amputated below the knee.
Soham, Newmarket Town, Cambridge City, Fulbourn Institute and hosts Cambridge United will all go head-to-head in an 11-a-side tournament, and Soham joint-manager, Dave Theobald, hopes the day will help raise even more money for the two friends.
“We’re delighted to be involved,” he said. “We’ve got close links with all the clubs and it should be a fantastic time for everyone to get together and help two lads from the local football community.”
Cambridge United CEO, Jez George said: “The four clubs providing players for the Football Family Day are pivotal in both Shaun and Joey’s involvement in local football.
You may also want to watch:
“The day provides the chance for local players, past and present, to join together in support of two brilliant young men, who through no fault of their own, now need to cope with the consequences of such a traumatic event.”
The U’s Cambs Glass Stadium will play host to the event, and ticket prices are expected to be announced next week.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely