Soham part company with player-boss after five-year spell
- Credit: Daniel Mason
Player-boss Robbie Mason’s five-year spell at Soham Town Rangers has come to an end.
Mason parted company with the club tonight (Tuesday) after a 3-0 defeat to Wisbech Town on December 27 left Soham six points adrift from safety in the Northern Premier League Division One Midlands.
In a statement, Soham chairman Mark Goldsack said “this was a very difficult decision for the club.
“He is a man with great integrity and has the highest of work ethics.
“However, under current circumstances we believe it is best to change managers.”
Mr Goldsack added: “On behalf of everyone at the club and personally, I would like to thank Rob for his work as player and manager and wish him every success for the future.
“He has played a part in the history of the club, and he will always be warmly welcomed back at Julius Martin Lane.”
Soham will not be commenting any further until a new manager is appointed.
Mason, who joined Soham in December 2016, saw assistant boss Erkan Okay leave the club for Stowmarket Town earlier this month.
- 1 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Murder trial hears of 'appalling catalogue of injuries' suffered by baby
- 4 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 5 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 7 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 8 Ely City WI share 'exciting projects' for 2022
- 9 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 10 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
The Greens prepare to face Cambridge City on New Year’s Day, 3pm before hosting Histon on January 15.