Soham Town Rangers joint boss Nightingale ‘thrilled’ as Greens sign Premier League winner Luke Chadwick
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers have announced the signing of former Manchester United midfielder Luke Chadwick.
Cambridge-born Chadwick began his career at Manchester United, where he won the Premier League under Sir Alex Ferguson in 2001.
Chadwick netted two goals in his four years at Old Trafford before loan spells at Belgian side Royal Antwerp, Reading and Burnley.
The midfielder then moved to Stoke City, Norwich City and Milton Keynes Dons before signing for his childhood club Cambridge United last year, helping them return to the Football League.
The Greens’ joint manager Robbie Nightingale struggled to contain his excitement over Rangers’ latest recruit.
He said: “I’m absolutely thrilled. It’s a huge deal for the club.
“Luke only came out of playing in League Two last year. He’s so enthusiastic and has the desire that we always look for.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 4 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 5 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 6 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 9 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 10 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
“Not many players at this level can say they’ve played with someone with Premier League experience so it’s an exciting time for the club,” he added.
Nightingale’s co-manager, Dave Theobald, believes his side’s new signing can bring some much-needed experience to the squad.
He said: “We’re very grateful that Luke has come to play for us. He’s a big coup and he’ll bring experience and a bit of know-how to the squad.”
Theobald also said that the Premier League winner will feature in the Greens’ game against Witham Town tomorrow.
“We’re not sure if he’ll start the game, but he’ll definitely be involved at some point,” he said.