Soham Town Rangers: FA Trophy Hopes Dashed
SOHAM Town Rangers were sent crashing out of the FA Trophy on Tuesday night after a resounding 5-1 defeat at the hands of Harrow Borough.Despite holding their own for more than 30 minutes, Ian Benjamin s side were missing a number of key players on t
SOHAM Town Rangers were sent crashing out of the FA Trophy on Tuesday night after a resounding 5-1 defeat at the hands of Harrow Borough.
Despite holding their own for more than 30 minutes, Ian Benjamin's side were missing a number of key players on the night and were unable to muster a response to the home sides' second-half onslaught.
Coming into the game, Soham were without regulars Michael Simpson and Martin Bromwich and the lack of experience showed as the home side opened the scoring after 14 minutes as Soham struggled to make the most of some early possession.
To their credit, Soham rallied after the setback and an opportunistic strike from Paul Jones just after the 30 minute mark restored parity.
Soham's joy was short lived though, as Harrow restored their lead a minute shy of half-time as Soham were caught napping in defence.
In the second-half both teams battled hard to wrestle control of the match, but it was the home side who would eventually come out on top as, on the 70-minute mark, they scored again to all but seal the tie.
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 6 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 7 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 8 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 9 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 10 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
Desperately seeking a way back into the game, the Greens poured forward in search of a goal, but the gamble left them vulnerable in defence and Harrow notched a further two goals in a frantic five-minute period as the Greens began to tire.