Soham Town Rangers Come From Behind To Secure Draw
AFC Sudbury 2 Soham Town Rangers 2 A VASTLY improved Soham Town Rangers side twice came from behind to secure a valuable draw at AFC Sudbury on Tuesday night. The Greens have been in indifferent form of late but raised hopes that a strong finish to the se
AFC Sudbury 2
Soham Town Rangers 2
A VASTLY improved Soham Town Rangers side twice came from behind to secure a valuable draw at AFC Sudbury on Tuesday night.
The Greens have been in indifferent form of late but raised hopes that a strong finish to the season is within their grasp after twice coming from behind to earn a point against Sudbury.
You may also want to watch:
The draw moves Ian Benjamin's men into 16th place in the Zameretto League with a priceless seven-point cushion between themselves and Bromsgrove who occupy the spot above the relegation zone.
The game itself, got off to a disastrous start for the Greens as, with just two minutes on the clock, the hosts moved into the lead through Sam Clarke.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
The Greens quickly brushed off the setback though, and after a number of strong chances they restored parity in the 20th minute after talisman Michael Simpson worked a yard of space to net.
The game poised at 1-1 would have provided Benjamin's side the ideal platform to push on in the second-half but it wasn't to be as, a matter of minutes before the whistle, Sudbury again took the lead, this time via Danny Brown.
Desperate to get back on terms, Soham upped their work rate in the second-half and their endeavour paid off just past the hour mark as Dubi Ogbonna notched his 14th goal of the season.
There were half-chances for either side as the game progressed but some resilient defending ensured that neither of the sides afforded the opposition any clear cut opportunities in the latter stages of the game.
Soham will host mid-table Arlesey Town tonight (Thursday) followed by Romulus on Saturday completing a hectic week for the Greens that will see them clock up four games in seven days.
9999: Dubi Ogbonna, who netted Soham's second against Sudbury.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.