Soham Town Rangers 4-1 Harrowby United: second half surge books Greens a place in the next round
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers set up an intriguing FA Cup First Qualifying Round date with higher-level Rushall Olympic thanks to a thumping 4-1 triumph over Harrowby United on Saturday.
Robbie Mason found the net for the first time since re-joining the Greens in the summer and Kieran Bailey, Billy Harris and Jordan Gent also struck as Soham eased their way into the next round at Julius Martin Lane.
Both sides came into Saturday’s encounter looking for a response after 4-0 losses in the week, and Soham got off to a flyer when Mason volleyed home in the 13th minute.
Rangers held their lead until 10 minutes into the second half when Ryan Parnell stabbed home after some pinball in the Soham box.
Soham had an opportunity to retake their lead but Marcus Hall skewed a shot over the bar with the goal at his mercy after some good work from Bailey.
Soham did retake their lead – and bag a third – soon after when Bailey lifted the ball over the keeper after a neat move with Ross Paterson, before Harris cut in from the right and placed a shot over Joe Braithwaite in the Harrowby net moments after.
Skipper Gent made sure of Soham’s progression four minutes from time with a thumping header from a Bailey corner, earning his side £1,925 in prize money and a first qualifying round tie with higher-level Rushall to look forward to on September 3.
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 3 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 4 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 5 'Our dog was our motivation’ - couple behind organic dog treats business
- 6 Disciplinary action against anti-Pride pastor ‘never, ever about his religion’
- 7 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 8 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 9 Gary takes Dry January to next level with mental health challenge
- 10 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash