Soham Town Rangers 1 Wroxham 0 – Yachtsmen lose again as ex-pro Luke Chadwick inspires a home win
- Credit: Archant
In a game bereft of chances, a late Salim Relizani goal clinched all three points for Soham.
Rangers kicked off with a strong wind behind them and the gusts had an effect with through balls more often than not drifting out of play.
Lining up for the home side was former Norwich City and Manchester United midfielder Luke Chadwick and the majority of their play involved him.
Wroxham’s first chance came from a Jamie Forshaw corner.
The wind held the ball up and Ashley Jarvis was involved in a scramble in the six-yard box but his goal-bound shot was blocked by George Lawton in the Soham goal.
You may also want to watch:
The same player then made a comfortable save to deny Nathan Stone.
At the other end a Chadwick corner reached Ryan Sharman whose header was cleared off the line by Jack Guyton who was perfectly positioned on the back post.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
The scores continued to remain deadlocked even though the visiting Yachtsmen had two great second-half penalty shouts turned away by referee Mark Wardell. First, a powerful shot by Stephen Taylor appeared to strike a defender’s hand. Stone then twisted the Soham defence inside out and was brought down in the area but again the man in the middle turned down the claims.
Two delicious Chadwick centres almost created a Soham goal and it was no surprise when he was involved in the game’s deciding moment.
The midfielder’s 81st-minute free-kick was blocked but it fell to Relizani in the area and his powerful shot found the net.
Soham Town Rangers: Lawton, Townshend, Bexfield, Lawton, Gent, Sharman, Hall, Chadwick, Sawyer (Lopes, 73), Paterson (Darling, 68), Relizani. Subs not used: Chizari, Nightingale, Theobald. Goal: Relizani (81).
Wroxham: Pride, Ramm, Taylor, Hinton, Howell, Halliday, Forshaw (Foreman, 85), Sommerfield, Stone, Jarvis (Sturman, 87), Guyton (Garrod, 57).