Soham through to cup final after Wisbech win
Wisbech Town 0 Soham Town Rangers 2
GOALS from Dubi Ogbonna and Scott Carter sent Soham through to the final of the Cambs Invitation Cup on Tuesday night.
The Greens rode their luck in the first half, seeing two goals chalked off for the hosts, but strikes from the mercurial Ogbonna and midfielder Carter saw them to an ultimately deserved win.
The victory sets up a potentially mouth-watering final against fierce rivals Ely City, who take on Royston Town in their semi-final at the Unwin Ground on March 20.
The CIC final, Soham’s first since 2007, is set to take place on April 18 at the R Costing’s Abbey Stadium, home to Cambridge United.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts came out firing in the first half and were unlucky not to move into the lead early on as both Callum Read and Chris Bacon saw goals ruled out, for a foul and offside respectively.
The Greens took the lead in the 39th minute, Dubi Ogbonna applying a fine finish to a sweeping attacking move.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
In the second half, Soham stepped up a gear and started to dictate the play, the reward for their dominance finally coming in the 70th minute as Carter finished.