Soham through to cup final after Wisbech win
Wisbech Town 0 Soham Town Rangers 2
GOALS from Dubi Ogbonna and Scott Carter sent Soham through to the final of the Cambs Invitation Cup on Tuesday night.
The Greens rode their luck in the first half, seeing two goals chalked off for the hosts, but strikes from the mercurial Ogbonna and midfielder Carter saw them to an ultimately deserved win.
The victory sets up a potentially mouth-watering final against fierce rivals Ely City, who take on Royston Town in their semi-final at the Unwin Ground on March 20.
The CIC final, Soham’s first since 2007, is set to take place on April 18 at the R Costing’s Abbey Stadium, home to Cambridge United.
The hosts came out firing in the first half and were unlucky not to move into the lead early on as both Callum Read and Chris Bacon saw goals ruled out, for a foul and offside respectively.
The Greens took the lead in the 39th minute, Dubi Ogbonna applying a fine finish to a sweeping attacking move.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 8 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 9 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 10 Mike Rouse whose 'achievements and dedication are unsurpassed'
In the second half, Soham stepped up a gear and started to dictate the play, the reward for their dominance finally coming in the 70th minute as Carter finished.