Table tennis trio stretch winning run with dominant display
- Credit: Soham Comrades Table Tennis Club
Soham Comrades Table Tennis Club extended their winning streak to six games with a handsome 9-1 victory.
The trio of first team captain Andreas Elia, Dave Renton and Clive Woollard won their singles matches to beat Haddenham 1s in Division One of the Ely & District TT League on November 24.
Haddenham were unlucky not to secure more wins, Kin Choi Chan coming close to victory over Elia before losing in the fifth set.
Dave Renton was nominated as player of the match.
Choi Chan did earn some triumph, though, teaming with Adam Curry to beat Elia and Woollard in a close-fought doubles match.
“We have a great squad of players even though a number of the team have faced fitness issues,” Elia said.
“Some of the team had considered hanging up their bats as getting a team together for matches, on a weekly basis, was proving to be challenging.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Warwick Davis and daughter Annabelle cut the ribbon at special opening
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 5 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 6 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 7 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 8 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 9 Retiring café owner desperate not to see shop 'back at square one'
- 10 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
“But with the squad we have this year, which includes Tony Everitt, Martin Freeland as well as father and son, Liam and Kieran Mohan, we have a strong team to choose from.”
Soham return to league action against NCI on January 11.