SOHAM strike blow in the battle for survival

Third win in four boosts Greens

Soham Town Rangers 3

Woodford United 0

SOHAM struck another blow in the battle for survival this season as they picked up a decisive win over play-off hopefuls Woodford United.

The Greens have continued to defy all expectations in recent weeks and they picked up their third win in four on Saturday at the expense of a largely flat Woodford side.

The win moves Ian Benjamin’s men up into 20th place and, crucially, a point clear of the drop zone ahead of their crunch clash with fellow strugglers Uxbridge on Tuesday.

It was Woodford who produced the game’s first opening with just five minutes gone, as a header looped narrowly ove the bar with keeper Dan Bircham stranded yards off his line.

Most Read

Despite the promise of a tough 90 minutes ahead however, Soham quickly rallied and just three minutes later, took the lead through Michael Simpson, who collected the rebound from Deakan Napier’s shot to smash home.

The ever-lively Napier went close to doubling the lead five minutes later only for his run and shot to be turned narrowly round the post by the goalkeeper.

Benjamin’s charges continued their push as the half progressed and, on the stroke of half-time, doubled their lead through Cambridge City loanee Declan Rogers who was quick to pounce after Napier’s low shot was parried into his path 10 yards from goal.

The widely expected second half resurgence from Woodford failed to materialise as hostilities resumed after the break and Soham were again afforded the freedom to utilise their passing game, a key feature of their mini revival in recent weeks.

Just two minutes in and Napier was again put through on goal but slipped his shot past the post with the goalkeeper committed.

The Greens finally made the points safe after 75 minutes when Rogan McGeorge capped a fine performance by slotting home a penalty kick after the United goalkeeper tripped substitue Will Seymore.

Napier again went close just two minutes later as he was sent through one-on-one but his double effort was superbly saved by arguably United’s best player on the day, keeper Matt Finlay.

With the game petering out, United forged some decent chances of their own with a header at goal forcing a save from Bircham and Lewis Travers also going close.

There was little hope of a comeback however, and Soham held firm to collect the points.