Soham Snatch Draw In Six Goal Thriller
TWO goals in the dying minutes saw Soham snatch a point at home to Bedworth United as the teams played out a gripping 3-3 draw. Heading into the final 10 minutes 3-1 down the situation looked to be dire for the Greens but goals from Scott Carter and Andy
TWO goals in the dying minutes saw Soham snatch a point at home to Bedworth United as the teams played out a gripping 3-3 draw.
Heading into the final 10 minutes 3-1 down the situation looked to be dire for the Greens but goals from Scott Carter and Andy Furnell secured a point and sparked joyous scenes amongst fans and players alike.
Coming into the game there was a real desire to bury the misery of the midweek defeat to rivals Ely but there was still a hint of ill-feeling as Andy Coleman upended Bedworth striker Jermaine Gordon in just the second minute, with a penalty quickly resulting. Kieran Fitzharris duly converted to give Bedworth the lead.
Soham reacted well to going behind and forged a veritable abundance of chances in the following minutes but, as has become typical of recent weeks, they lacked the cutting edge to convert the chances into goals.
Despite bossing much of the play for the remainder of the half, the Greens were unable to stop from going two behind as Gordon latched onto a precision through ball to double the visitors' advantage.
Michael Simpson might have given the score-line a more justified balance mere seconds short of half-time when the ball fell at his feet in the area, but it wasn't to be as the midfield maestro placed his effort wide.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
The Greens were no-doubt given both barrels by boss Ian Benjamin during the break and they went someway to repairing the damage when play resumed as Furnell got on the end of a Paul Jones cross to slot home.
Despite the resurgence, the Greens still lacked stability in defence and Gordon was on hand once more to double his tally for the day and restore Bedworth's two goal advantage.
The visitors continued to pummel keeper Lea Jordan's goal after going 3-1 ahead and but for bad finishing and good goalkeeping could well have been well out-of-reach as the final 10 minutes rolled around.
With their backs to the wall though, Soham threw caution to the wind and pulled off a quite remarkable comeback as both Carter and Furnell netted to grab a point for the home side.