Soham settle for a point after coming from behind twice to deny Great Wakering Rovers

Soham Town Rangers celebrate. Pictures: Andy Burford

Soham Town Rangers celebrate. Pictures: Andy Burford - Credit: Archant

Soham Town Rangers joint manager Robbie Nightingale said his side showed “desire and attitude” after they came from behind twice to draw 2-2 with Great Wakering Rovers.

Saturday’s match was the second meeting between the two sides this season, with Rovers winning 2-0 on the opening day of the season.

Both sides have experienced managerial changes since then, with Wakering’s new boss Gary Ansell taking charge of his first official game for their visit to Julius Martin Lane.

Rovers started the game brightly, and after creating a number of early attacks opened the scoring in the thirteenth minute when Stuart Hepburn’s throw was flicked on towards the back post for Tom Ranger to score with his head.

Moments later the visitors had a great opportunity to double the lead, however Rangers’ George Lawton came off his line well to take the ball in front of the advancing Eljay Worrell.

The hosts improved after falling behind and after Jordan Gent volleyed narrowly wide, equalised in the 31st minute when Marcus Hall dipped a 25-yard shot over the Wakering ‘keeper and under the bar for his second goal in as many games.

The Greens were denied the chance to go in ahead at the break ahead when Adam Seal came out to deny Simon Swinton with a point blank save five minutes before the interval.

Most Read

Soham continued attacking in the opening stages of the second half as Ben Sawyer and George Darling both put over, before Rovers restored their advantage in the 51st minute.

With their first attack of the half, a long freekick into the area was laid off into the path of substitute Billy Radley, who fired high into the net to restore the away side’s lead.

The lead was only to last for eight minutes after Soham were awarded a penalty just before the hour mark when Sawyer was fouled inside the area by Hepburn as he attempted to collect Swinton’s pass.

Ryan Sharman stepped up and made no mistake with his spot kick, placing it low into the bottom corner, despite Seal guessing correctly.

With the sides level, both went looking for the winner and Soham came close to finding it after a Sawyer cross was volleyed just wide by Darling before Sharman headed at the Rovers’ Seal.

At the other end, Jay Nash fired over with an angled shot as both sides continued to push forward late on.

Sawyer and Swinton all spurned chances at the game’s conclusion, and the sides had to settle for a point apiece, which sees the Greens stay in 19th in the Ryman Division North.

Rangers boss Robbie Nightingale was pleased with his side’s performance, saying: “We showed great desire and attitude to come from behind twice, and after we got the second goal we looked like the only team that could go on and win the game.”

Soham were due to play Harlow Town tomorrow, but the fixture has since been postponed and Nightingale sees it as an opportunity for his players to regroup after a hectic recent set of fixtures.

He said: “It’s the first week for a while that we’ve been able to have a week to prepare so we’ll train twice and hopefully the players will use what we’re trying to get through to them at the weekend.”

Soham visit struggling Heybridge Swifts on Saturday November 7, with Nightingale seeing the game as a chance for his side to get revenge over the Swifts.

“Heybridge Swifts have changed manager lately and their form has picked up lately,” he said.

“We were the only team they beat when they weren’t winning many games so we’ve got a score to settle at the weekend.”