Soham’s unbeaten run comes to an end at Wroxham
- Credit: Archant
Wroxham 3 Soham Town Rangers 0
Soham’s bubble was finally burst on Tuesday night as they were comfortably beaten by mid-table Wroxham.
The Greens came into the match on the back of a 13-game unbeaten league run and were clear favourites to extend that run against a Wroxham side that had gone without a league win since December 7.
But a first half penalty from Joe Marsden and second half goals for Remy Gordon and Marsden ensured Soham’s rapid ascent was finally checked.
Steve Fallon’s side remain in second place after the defeat but the gap between themselves and third place Witham has been cut to two points.
You may also want to watch:
Luke Stanley was in the thick of the action for Soham early on as he connected with Buster Harradine’s deep free-kick and headed against the woodwork from six yards out.
Joe Marsden gave Wroxham the lead in the 23rd minute with his eighth penalty of the season after Remy Gordon was fouled in the box.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
The woodwork was then struck for a second time – this time at the Wroxham end – as Joe Marsden came close to making it two.
Joey Abbs saw his shot clip the bar on its way over early in the second half before Gordon doubled the lead for Wroxham with a drive from distance after 54 minutes.
Marsden was on target again in the 65th minute after some excellent work in midfield by Sam Harty.
Soham will be back in action again on Saturday as they host Erith and Belvedere at Julius Martin Lane. Kick off is 3pm.