Soham Retain Unwin Trophy
SOHAM Town Rangers retained the Doug Unwin Cup on Wednesday evening after a nail biting penalty shoot-out win over Ely City. Though the two teams remained deadlocked at 1-1 after 90 minutes, it was the Greens who eventually emerged the victors after a pr
SOHAM Town Rangers retained the Doug Unwin Cup on Wednesday evening after a nail biting penalty shoot-out win over Ely City.
Though the two teams remained deadlocked at 1-1 after 90 minutes, it was the Greens who eventually emerged the victors after a profligate display from 12 yards by Trevor Munns' side that saw them lose out 4-3 on penalties.
A cagey first-half saw little attacking threat of note from both sides as the respective defences came to the fore. The deadlock was eventually broken mere moments into the second half however, as Greens' talisman Michael Simpson rose highest to head past Lee Pacey.
Ely were not to be outdone though, as Robbie Mason netted to continue what has been a decent pre-season for the front man. A number of substitutions through the latter stages made for a fragmented closing 20 minutes as the game drifted to penalties.
Both teams had penalties saved in the shoot-out but a decisive miss from the Robins ensured the Doug Unwin Trophy remained in Green hands for at least another year.
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 4 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 5 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 9 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 10 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you