Soham Retain Unwin Trophy
SOHAM Town Rangers retained the Doug Unwin Cup on Wednesday evening after a nail biting penalty shoot-out win over Ely City. Though the two teams remained deadlocked at 1-1 after 90 minutes, it was the Greens who eventually emerged the victors after a pr
SOHAM Town Rangers retained the Doug Unwin Cup on Wednesday evening after a nail biting penalty shoot-out win over Ely City.
Though the two teams remained deadlocked at 1-1 after 90 minutes, it was the Greens who eventually emerged the victors after a profligate display from 12 yards by Trevor Munns' side that saw them lose out 4-3 on penalties.
A cagey first-half saw little attacking threat of note from both sides as the respective defences came to the fore. The deadlock was eventually broken mere moments into the second half however, as Greens' talisman Michael Simpson rose highest to head past Lee Pacey.
Ely were not to be outdone though, as Robbie Mason netted to continue what has been a decent pre-season for the front man. A number of substitutions through the latter stages made for a fragmented closing 20 minutes as the game drifted to penalties.
You may also want to watch:
Both teams had penalties saved in the shoot-out but a decisive miss from the Robins ensured the Doug Unwin Trophy remained in Green hands for at least another year.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion