Soham Town Rangers stun high flying Canvey Island to end Bostik North winless run
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers brought their five-match winless league run to an end with a dominant 3-0 victory over third-placed Canvey Island.
Rob Mason’s side travelled to Canvey Island looking to build on a 2-2 draw at Cheshunt four days earlier and were boosted by the return of keeper Josh Pope, captain Lewis Endacott and Lee Chaffey, with the trio all returning from suspension.
It would have been easy for Rangers to have felt intimidated by their promotion chasing hosts, but instead Soham started strongly at the Frost Hire Stadium and were on the front foot from the off.
Canvey were made to pay for a slow start after 13 minutes, when Joe Carden’s cross was flicked on to Callum Russell - by Craig Gillies - and Jack Giddens could only watch as the Soham winger slotted the ball into his net from close range.
The hosts offered little in replay as Soham went from strength to strength and with 28 minutes on the clock Mason’s side doubled their advantage.
You may also want to watch:
The Islanders failed to deal with Russell’s dangerous long throw and despite numerous attempts to clear the ball, Jon Kaye headed home to giving Soham nothing less than they deserved.
The Julius Martin Lane outfit continued to press and were unlucky not to add a third before the break and picked up where they left off after the restart with the Gulls never really raising their game enough to trouble Soham.
- 1 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 2 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 3 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 4 Tyler Goodjohn ready to enter lion's den in world title bid
- 5 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 6 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
- 7 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 8 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 9 Motorcycle firm gearing up to show off lockdown project
- 10 Offensive graffiti: ‘Hate crimes have no place in Cambridgeshire’
Canvey lacked the character, determination and quality needed to break down a resilient Soham and when a third goal did come, after a largely uneventful second half, it ensured all three points would be returning to Cambridgeshire.
Rangers were awarded a penalty when Ashley Dumas brought down Gillies and Russell made no mistake as he calmly buried the spot kick nine minutes from time, sending Giddens the wrong way, to seal a fully-deserved and confidence boosting three points for Soham.
Mason’s side will be looking to push on from Saturday’s impressive display when they play host to Haringey Borough on Saturday (kick off 3.00pm). • Canvey: Giddens, Pitty (Charles 54), Dumas, Craddock (Walker 75), Warren, Sheeham, Merrifield, Collins, Sykes, Gilbey (Adeniji 85), Melaugh.
Subs not used: Nesbitt, Norman.
Soham: Pope, Norman, Gardner, Endacott, Chaffey, Mochalski, Carden, Kaye, Gillies, Connor, Russell.
Subs not used: Bankole, Cohen, Hall, Mason, Buddle.