Soham Town Rangers stun high flying Canvey Island to end Bostik North winless run
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers brought their five-match winless league run to an end with a dominant 3-0 victory over third-placed Canvey Island.
Rob Mason’s side travelled to Canvey Island looking to build on a 2-2 draw at Cheshunt four days earlier and were boosted by the return of keeper Josh Pope, captain Lewis Endacott and Lee Chaffey, with the trio all returning from suspension.
It would have been easy for Rangers to have felt intimidated by their promotion chasing hosts, but instead Soham started strongly at the Frost Hire Stadium and were on the front foot from the off.
Canvey were made to pay for a slow start after 13 minutes, when Joe Carden’s cross was flicked on to Callum Russell - by Craig Gillies - and Jack Giddens could only watch as the Soham winger slotted the ball into his net from close range.
The hosts offered little in replay as Soham went from strength to strength and with 28 minutes on the clock Mason’s side doubled their advantage.
The Islanders failed to deal with Russell’s dangerous long throw and despite numerous attempts to clear the ball, Jon Kaye headed home to giving Soham nothing less than they deserved.
The Julius Martin Lane outfit continued to press and were unlucky not to add a third before the break and picked up where they left off after the restart with the Gulls never really raising their game enough to trouble Soham.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 8 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
Canvey lacked the character, determination and quality needed to break down a resilient Soham and when a third goal did come, after a largely uneventful second half, it ensured all three points would be returning to Cambridgeshire.
Rangers were awarded a penalty when Ashley Dumas brought down Gillies and Russell made no mistake as he calmly buried the spot kick nine minutes from time, sending Giddens the wrong way, to seal a fully-deserved and confidence boosting three points for Soham.
Mason’s side will be looking to push on from Saturday’s impressive display when they play host to Haringey Borough on Saturday (kick off 3.00pm). • Canvey: Giddens, Pitty (Charles 54), Dumas, Craddock (Walker 75), Warren, Sheeham, Merrifield, Collins, Sykes, Gilbey (Adeniji 85), Melaugh.
Subs not used: Nesbitt, Norman.
Soham: Pope, Norman, Gardner, Endacott, Chaffey, Mochalski, Carden, Kaye, Gillies, Connor, Russell.
Subs not used: Bankole, Cohen, Hall, Mason, Buddle.