Soham Put Back In Line By Generals
SOHAM Town Rangers recent run of wins was brought to an end at the weekend as they lost out 1-0 away at Chesham United. A Leon Archer goal fifteen minutes from time was the difference between the sides in a keenly contested game which saw Soham s run of
SOHAM Town Rangers' recent run of wins was brought to an end at the weekend as they lost out 1-0 away at Chesham United.
A Leon Archer goal fifteen minutes from time was the difference between the sides in a keenly contested game which saw Soham's run of three straight league wins brought to an unceremonious halt.
Despite the loss Ian Benjamin's side remain in 13th place in Division One of the BGB League with the 39 points they have accrued thus far this season, all but certain to ensure their step four status.
From the outset the game was a tight affair but the eventual villain of the piece, Archer, was a particular menace for the greens early on as forged a few good chances. Though the game settled in the ensuing minutes, Chesham again found their touch towards the end of the half.
United's Josh Cooper sheared a layer of paint off the cross bar with his audacious effort on 35 minutes and the woodwork was again on hand to deny the home side a minute later when Danny Talbot hit a post.
Having come through unscathed, Soham could have stolen a lead just a minute short of the half when the returning Shawn Richards fired just wide of the post.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
Minutes into the second-half Soham had their best chance of the match as a long ball from Michael Simpson was gathered in auspiciously by Andy Furnell, only for the big number nine to clatter his resulting effort against the post.
Chesham rallied in the aftermath of Furnell's effort and they hit the woodwork once again on 72 minutes as Kevin Cotton hit the crossbar with a shot from distance. An ever advancing generals' attack boded ill for Soham and the pressure finally told in the 76th minute as Dom Marsala played in Archer who cut in from the left and slid home under the body of the advancing Lea Jordan.
With little to lose in the dying minutes Soham poured forward but, aside from a few bright moments, most notably an Adam Weston effort, Chesham held on for the win.
* Soham U18s secured their place in the final of the Munns Cup after a strong team performance earned them a 2-1 victory over Wisbech Town U18.
First half strikes from Jake Fuller and Gareth Suttle put the Greens into a commanding position with their impressive defence ensuring that, despite pulling a goal back, Wisbech were unable to salvage something from the game.
The Greens will now go to forward to face the formidable Histon youth team in the competition final.