Soham late show not enough against Waltham

A LATE fightback from Soham Town Rangers was not enough to earn them a point in their season opening match against Waltham Forest on Saturday.

Soham Town Rangers 2

Waltham Forest 3

Despite falling 3-0 behind, Andy Furnell’s men produced a spirited late surge to pull two goals back but it was ultimately too little, too late as 10-man Waltham held out for the win.

The Greens will hope to make amends on Tuesday night when they travel to Potters Bar Town.

Soham looked tentative during their first 45 minutes of Ryman League football and produced only fleeting glimpses of the slick passing game they produced last season.

Midfield battler Rogan McGeorge produced the first effort of the match after seven minutes as he fired narrowly over from 25 yards. Things quickly soured for Furnell’s men though, as Waltham were awarded a penalty after 15 minutes which was colly dispatched past debutant goalkeeper Simon Allen.

Most Read

Five minutes later and the score was doubled as Gazmond Duati found space and time enough to strike low across the goalkeeper and into the far corner.

Soham frontman Steve Bugg went close to pulling a quick goal back for the home side only for his headed effort to be cleared off the line and, at the other end, Allen did well to deny a Waltham striker when through one-on-one.

The start of the second half was a placid affair which only really came to life on the hour mark after David Cobb’s excellent run yielded a shot on goal that slipped just wide.

Allen was once again called upon to make an excellent save at close quarters as he turned away a shot that squeezed through a gaggle of bodies in the Soham box.

Bugg had his head in his hands once again in the 70th minute as he saw his effort cannon off the post after Flanz had flicked on a corner and the home side were dealt a decisive blow seconds later as Josh Bonnett smashed home a low cross to make it 3-0.

Player manager Furnell restored some hope for the Greens with 15 minutes remaining as he nodded home an excellent flighted ball from Cobb and the home side’s hopes were boosted yet further five minutes from time as Bonnett was given his marching orders for kicking out at Martin Bromwich.

Within minutes Soham had scored again after Cobb volleyed home from range after a free-kick was only part cleared by the visitors.

Despite some nervous moments late on for Waltham, they managed to hold out for the win.