Soham Horse Riders Produce A Rare Double
SOHAM-based competitors Fiona and Tom Jonason produced a rare double at the weekend, winning respectively at the Little Downham Horse Trials and the Harborough Point-to-Point meeting at Dingley. Event rider Fiona competed in Friday s horse trials at Littl
SOHAM-based competitors Fiona and Tom Jonason produced a rare double at the weekend, winning respectively at the Little Downham Horse Trials and the Harborough Point-to-Point meeting at Dingley.
Event rider Fiona competed in Friday's horse trials at Little Downham, which were in two sections.
She rode her own horse Ardfield Golden in the Intermediate novice section, following up a good dressage with a clear round in the show jump to be well in contention going into the cross country stage.
There were no jumping mistakes in that section either, and although Fiona picked up some time penalties she was joint top with Georgina Clark on Soul Searcher.
You may also want to watch:
The Soham pairing came closest to the allotted time however, so the cross country win was awarded to them - their second as a combination in only a short time together.
Later on in the day Fiona competed in the Intermediate Section, this time riding Julie Isaacson's Zinzan Tiger.
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Against strong opposition the combination finished a creditable fifth, leaving Fiona to reflect on a good day's work.
"I was only giving Zinzan a run out after withdrawing from Houghton last weekend due to the hard ground, so I'm pleased with fifth," said Fiona.
"Ardfield Golden is showing good potential and this builds on the win we had at the end of last season."
The following day (Saturday) Fiona took her point-to-point horse Rock Charlie to compete in only his second race at the Harborough Race Club meeting at Dingley.
The Maiden Stakes race involved 12 runners, and Rock Charlie - who finished third on his debut last month - duly won under the guidance of Fiona's brother Tom - a first success for both horse and rider.
Fiona is in her first season running her own yard, having spent the last couple of seasons training with Team GB squad rider Polly Stockton at her yard.
For further information contact Fiona on 07747 830651.
n It was the Summer British Eventing meeting taking place at the popular Ely Eventing Centre at Little Downham over the weekend, extended to three days due to the high number of entries.
There were several famous faces amongst the competitors, including Australian three times Olympic Team gold medallist Andrew Hoy and his wife Bettina, herself a World Team gold medallist for Germany.
Other big names included Team GB rider and European Team gold medallist Oliver Townend, and Team GB Olympic team member Sharon Hunt, all of whom were in action on day one.