Soham hit for six at Arlesey

THERE was little to cheer about for Soham Town Rangers on Tuesday night as they were subjected to a six-goal hammering at the hands of high-flyers Arlesey Town

Arlesey Town 6

Soham Town Rangers 1

THERE was little to cheer about for Soham Town Rangers on Tuesday night as they were subjected to a six-goal hammering at the hands of high-flyers Arlesey Town.

Some lacklustre defending allowed the hosts to move into a comfortable lead by the break and they showed little mercy in the second half as they dished out Soham’s heaviest league defeat this term.

You may also want to watch:

Arlesey’s Harry Hunt opened the scoring with just 12 minutes on the clock and the striker was on hand to double the lead on the half-hour mark as the hosts took control.

Hunt completed his hat-trick 10 minutes into the second half and the points were all but sealed by Alex O’Brien who fired home after 73 minutes.

Most Read

Hopes of an unlikely comeback where momentarily raised as Soham’s increasingly impressive Tom Benjamin, pulled a goal back just a minute later. The hosts were quick to quell any uprising however, as they restored their four-goal advantage less than 10 minutes later through O’Brien.

The scoring was completed late on by Joel Mason.

n On Saturday, two first half goals from newcomers Aylesbury were enough to sink Ian Bejmain’s men.

The Greens came close to forcing a draw in an inspired second half fightback but left themselves too much to do after a punishing opening 45 that saw Aylesbury seize a crucial advantage.

Though Soham put together some promising moves in the opening 10 minutes, it was Aylesbury who were creating opportunities and they should have moved in front after 15 minutes only for poor finishing from little more than five yards out to deny them the opener.

The deadlock was broken just five minutes later however, as front-man Ricky Miller, nipped in ahead of defender Martin Bromwich to slot past Dan Bircham.

Luke Hipwell had a good opportunity to pull the scores level but his shot squirted tamely into the arms of the Aylesbury keeper after an excellent run.

Hipwell was made to pay for his profligacy just two minutes later as Miller slotted home a penalty after Will Seymore was adjudged to have fouled the striker on the edge of the box.

The Greens worked harder from the start of the second half to impose themselves on the game and they managed to pull a goal back on the hour mark as Michael Simpson bundled home from close range after a freekick from Hipwell was parried into his path.

The momentum continued to build for Soham in the aftermath of the goal and they came close again after 70 minutes as Shawn Richards volleyed inches wide.

Substitue Tom Benjamin had arguably the chance of the half for the Greens but his excellent run and shot was denied a goal by the outstretched arm of the visiting keeper.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter