Soham Edge Past Ely
SOHAM emerged the narrow victors from a keenly contested matchup with the City of Ely 2nd XI. Though both teams performed with aplomb, it was the visiting Soham side who were able to hold their nerve as they closed out a four-wicket win with less than two
SOHAM emerged the narrow victors from a keenly contested matchup with the City of Ely 2nd XI.
Though both teams performed with aplomb, it was the visiting Soham side who were able to hold their nerve as they closed out a four-wicket win with less than two overs remaining.
Opting to bat first, Ely performed well throughout the order, though Kevin Felton's captain's innings of 74 was the undoubted highlight, hauling his team to a solid score of 167.
Both Keith Metcalfe (3-17) and Mick Harvey (3-29) bowled with guile and unnerving accuracy to keep Ely's total down to well below the magic 200 mark.
Taking to the crease with willow in hand, Soham performed in much the same vein as Ely, with batsmen throughout the order contributing well.
Where Ely lost wickets however, Soham managed to hold firm and, despite going down to the wire, they emerged victorious. Peter Fretwell's 35 was the innings of the afternoon for the still undefeated visitors.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 4 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
O Swan-Taylor's 2-26 was the pick of the bowling for a plucky Ely side.