Soham Edge Past Ely
SOHAM emerged the narrow victors from a keenly contested matchup with the City of Ely 2nd XI. Though both teams performed with aplomb, it was the visiting Soham side who were able to hold their nerve as they closed out a four-wicket win with less than two
SOHAM emerged the narrow victors from a keenly contested matchup with the City of Ely 2nd XI.
Though both teams performed with aplomb, it was the visiting Soham side who were able to hold their nerve as they closed out a four-wicket win with less than two overs remaining.
Opting to bat first, Ely performed well throughout the order, though Kevin Felton's captain's innings of 74 was the undoubted highlight, hauling his team to a solid score of 167.
Both Keith Metcalfe (3-17) and Mick Harvey (3-29) bowled with guile and unnerving accuracy to keep Ely's total down to well below the magic 200 mark.
You may also want to watch:
Taking to the crease with willow in hand, Soham performed in much the same vein as Ely, with batsmen throughout the order contributing well.
Where Ely lost wickets however, Soham managed to hold firm and, despite going down to the wire, they emerged victorious. Peter Fretwell's 35 was the innings of the afternoon for the still undefeated visitors.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 5 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 8 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
O Swan-Taylor's 2-26 was the pick of the bowling for a plucky Ely side.