Soham battle back to take Cheshunt win
- Credit: Archant
Football Soham Town Rangers 4 Cheshunt 2
SOHAM recovered from two goals down to record a convincing win over Cheshunt at Julius Martin Lane on Tuesday night.
The Greens looked to be in trouble at 2-0 with 40 minutes on the clock but a spirited fight back saw them overcame Cheshunt, with goals coming from Jordan Gent, Buster Harradine and a James Hall double.
Soham goalkeeper Dan Bircham was kept busy in the opening quarter of the match, called on to make a string of saves, before the visitors moved into the lead in the 24th minute through Omer Riza.
The hosts found themselves two goals behind with five minutes to play as Luke Marshall netted but, Soham gained a crucial foothold in the match as they hit back just shy of the whistle through Gent.
The Greens carried the momentum into the second half and drew level on the hour mark through wide man Harradine.
Steve Fallon’s men shifted through the gears in the last half-four and accelerated away from Cheshunt thanks to James Hall, who added two goals inside 20 minutes to seal an unlikely win.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
The Greens went into the match on the back of their first league defeat of the season, a 3-0 drubbing at Redbridge.
Despite a positive start to the new term, picking up four points in two games, Steve Fallon’s side were out of sorts in Essex and fell behind just three minutes in as Leslie Thompson mopped up a low cross from six yards out.
Soham had only a few half-chances for Matt Robinson and Luke Stanley to show for their efforts in the opening half-hour but were unlucky not to equalise in the run up to half-time when Jordan Gent’s shot from Buster Harradine’s corner was cleared off the line by an alert defender.
The hosts broke quickly from Soham’s attack and, collecting the ball a few yards outside the area, Thompson fizzed a shot past Dan Bircham to double the lead.
The match was put out of Soham’s reach less than five minutes into the second half when Emiel Aiken headed home from a corner.
The Greens are back in action again on Saturday as they welcome Heybridge Swifts to Julius Martin Lane. Kick off is 3pm.