Sodden Start For Ely Against Cambridge
ELY City got their pre-season campaign off to soggy start as they lost 3-0 to Cambridge United amid horrid conditions at the Unwin Ground. Though the rain and the bitty nature of the friendly match made it hard for the Robins to find their rhythm, they ac
ELY City got their pre-season campaign off to soggy start as they lost 3-0 to Cambridge United amid horrid conditions at the Unwin Ground.
Though the rain and the bitty nature of the friendly match made it hard for the Robins to find their rhythm, they acquitted themselves well against Gary Brabin's men, despite goals from Grant Robbins, Tyrone Amory and Chris Holroyd.
The game started well for a fired-up Ely side, with Robbie Mason landing the first real blow after the ten minute mark when he turned at shot at Laurie Walker in the visitors' goal.
And it was Mason once more who might have snatched the lead for Ely with a glancing header that sailed narrowly over after 25 minutes.
Trevor Munn's side struggled to kick-on after their bright start however, and found themselves on the back foot as the visitors began to establish themselves in the match.
Two moments of magic from Brabin's side did much of the damage as both Robbins and Amory netted to give the visitors a 2-0 half-time lead.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 5 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
After the break the game became fragmented as a number of substitutions and driving rain made for sluggish football.
The home side created little of note in the second period but defended resolutely until the 83rd minute when substitute Holroyd, netted from inside 10 yards.
Ely's next friendly is at home to Bishops Stortford on July 18, kick off at 3pm.