Sodden Start For Ely Against Cambridge
ELY City got their pre-season campaign off to soggy start as they lost 3-0 to Cambridge United amid horrid conditions at the Unwin Ground. Though the rain and the bitty nature of the friendly match made it hard for the Robins to find their rhythm, they ac
ELY City got their pre-season campaign off to soggy start as they lost 3-0 to Cambridge United amid horrid conditions at the Unwin Ground.
Though the rain and the bitty nature of the friendly match made it hard for the Robins to find their rhythm, they acquitted themselves well against Gary Brabin's men, despite goals from Grant Robbins, Tyrone Amory and Chris Holroyd.
The game started well for a fired-up Ely side, with Robbie Mason landing the first real blow after the ten minute mark when he turned at shot at Laurie Walker in the visitors' goal.
And it was Mason once more who might have snatched the lead for Ely with a glancing header that sailed narrowly over after 25 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Trevor Munn's side struggled to kick-on after their bright start however, and found themselves on the back foot as the visitors began to establish themselves in the match.
Two moments of magic from Brabin's side did much of the damage as both Robbins and Amory netted to give the visitors a 2-0 half-time lead.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
After the break the game became fragmented as a number of substitutions and driving rain made for sluggish football.
The home side created little of note in the second period but defended resolutely until the 83rd minute when substitute Holroyd, netted from inside 10 yards.
Ely's next friendly is at home to Bishops Stortford on July 18, kick off at 3pm.