Snow Lays Waste To Sporting Calendar
A WEEKEND deluge of snow and ice laid waste to the pre-Christmas sporting calendar as fixtures across the district were cancelled. All sports from football and rugby to hockey and golf were postponed amid six inches of snowfall late last week which made c
A WEEKEND deluge of snow and ice laid waste to the pre-Christmas sporting calendar as fixtures across the district were cancelled.
All sports from football and rugby to hockey and golf were postponed amid six inches of snowfall late last week which made conditions potentially dangerous and pitches unplayable.
Soham Town Rangers were due to play host to Leighton Town at Julius Martin Lane on Saturday (Dec 19) but a ubiquitous covering of snow saw the fixture called off following a morning pitch inspection.
Ian Benjamin's side's next fixture will be the Boxing Day clash at Biggleswade Town kicking off at 1pm. They will also be in action on January 2 when they will host high-flyers Bury Town.
You may also want to watch:
Ely City meanwhile, will play host to Mildenhall Town on Boxing Day after their Saturday fixture was called off. The Robins will then take on Haverhill Rovers on December 28 before facing a derby clash with Wisbech Town on January 2.
In rugby, Ely Tigers matchup against fellow-strugglers Thetford was called off early on Saturday morning and Mark Mitzman's men will now have to wait until January 9 for their next matchup where they will host Newmarket.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
Ely men's hockey team meanwhile, will now face a lengthy winter break with their next fixture due on January 16 at home to Sudbury. The Ely ladies will face Haverhill on January 9.