Slideshow: Psychological Blow For Ely City
RIDGEONS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE Ely City 0 Halstead Town 1 HALSTEAD struck the first psychological blow in advance of their forthcoming Knock Out Cup final clash with Ely by completing a league double over them. Ely were unable to win the title anyway follo
RIDGEONS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE
Ely City 0 Halstead Town 1
HALSTEAD struck the first psychological blow in advance of their forthcoming Knock Out Cup final clash with Ely by completing a league double over them.
Ely were unable to win the title anyway following Tiptree United's 4-0 defeat of Thetford Town, but they still have a little work to do before clinching promotion.
"I was very disappointed," said Robins boss Dennis Lightning after Saturday's setback.
"It was a must-win game for them (Halstead), but we didn't turn up really."
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
The only goal of the game came in the opening half, and Lightning put it down to what he described as "sloppy defending."
As for the Knock Out Cup final, Lightning considers that Ely will now enter the tie against Halstead as underdogs.
"A win for us would have put some doubt in their minds," he said, "but they have now beaten us twice and must start as favourites.