Slick Ely Get Visitors Stuck In A Rut
A STYLISH performance from Ely City saw them get the better of a gutsy Rutland side 6-2. Although initially sluggish in getting to grips with the pace of Rutland s attack, Ely soon clicked into gear and goals from around the team, including a hattrick fro
A STYLISH performance from Ely City saw them get the better of a gutsy Rutland side 6-2.
Although initially sluggish in getting to grips with the pace of Rutland's attack, Ely soon clicked into gear and goals from around the team, including a hattrick from Chris Vincett saw them to victory.
In complete contrast to how the game would eventually pan out, the opening forays were rather tentative with both sides keen to get the measure of the one another.
It wasn't too long before the home side found their stride though and they drew first blood through Tom Rutledge who slashed home from a penalty corner.
You may also want to watch:
Ely didn't have it all their own way however, and they were caught cold on two occasions in the next 10 minutes as Rutland produced two goals from rapid breakaways.
The visitors looked assured going forward and threatened to widen the gap yet further in the ensuing minutes after their goals. To their credit, Ely held firm during the onslaught and notched up a breakaway goal of their own as Chris Vincett rounded the keeper to restore parity.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Having got back level, Ely pushed ahead and were relentless in attack for the remainder of the half as they sailed into a 4-2 lead. The home side's score could have been greater still but for some fine saves from the Rutland keeper who was cat-like between the posts.
Rutland were still within touching distance as the second-half began and it was clear from the urgency about their play that Ely were keen to rectify this.
It wasn't long after the restart that they did just that, as Vincett popped up from nowhere to smash home a rebound. With the score at 5-2 the visitors become deflated and Ely took full advantage to kill the game as Vincett netted once more.
In the final minutes of the game the visitors caused a flutter when they converted a couple of penalty corners, but it proved too little too late as Ely held firm for the win.