Skaters are golden great
DESPITE facing some of the best talent in the country, skaters from Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club won a record number of gold medals in the annual Soham Open Roller Skating Competition. There were several Ely skaters competing for the first time but al
DESPITE facing some of the best talent in the country, skaters from Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club won a record number of gold medals in the annual Soham Open Roller Skating Competition.
There were several Ely skaters competing for the first time but all reached an extremely high standard at the Ross Peers Sports Centre.
Newcomers Charlotte Weston and Hannah Barclay both won gold for solo dance while Charlotte Weston won gold in figures.
Gold medals were won by Charlotte Allen, Soffia Handley, Wanda Handley and Ellis Hennebry for solo dance, and Emma Taylor, Chloe Thompson and Hannah Walkley struck gold in the team dance. Nancy Allen completed the impressive haul of gold medals with victory in figures.
You may also want to watch:
Silver medals went to Ellis Hennebry in figures and OSP, Rachel Hobbs in figures, and Richard Culpin, newcomer Abigail Sired, Megan Snooks and Sophie Woodbridge in dance.
Silver medals for team dance were won by Ellis Hennebry, Nancy Allen and Abigail Bowen together with Zoe King, Rachel Hobbs and Hannah Barclay.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 9 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
Bronze medal winners were Emma Taylor in the two minute free programme, Nancy Allen for the three minute programme and dance, and Rianne Farrow-Gadsby and newcomers Lauren Rowe and Jodie Paige in dance.
The skaters are now training hard for their next competition, which will be at Newton Aycliffe in July.