Skaters aiming for international glory
TWO skaters from the Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club are aiming for future international glory after encouraging performances in the European Championships. Helen Grey and Michelle Housden have figured highly in domestic championships already this season
TWO skaters from the Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club are aiming for future international glory after encouraging performances in the European Championships.
Helen Grey and Michelle Housden have figured highly in domestic championships already this season.
Michelle, 17, from Stretham was crowned figures champion in the British Championships, at Haywards Heath, last month.
And Helen, 23, from Witchford, finished a creditable fourth in the senior free skating category.
These results earned them a place in the European Championships, held in Bordeaux, last week, and both skaters showed great promise against some of the best competitors in the world.
Michelle finished seventh in the junior ladies compulsory figures and Helen finished 16th in the senior ladies' free.
- 1 Izzy, 16, bids to kickstart female football revolution with new team
- 2 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 3 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 Gay tweet pastor claims 'constructive dismissal' as school caretaker
- 6 War veteran, Freddie, marks 100th birthday
- 7 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 8 Unearthed treasures to be displayed outside British Museum for first time
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Father accused of baby girl's murder had a 'short temper'
Both skaters are trained by Ely and national coach Paul McIlhone and are now setting their sights on other major championships.
Helen, who made history last year as the first senior free skater from Ely to compete at European level, has now been selected for the World Championships, which will be held in Australia in November.
And having experienced competition in Bordeaux, Michelle is now training hard with a view to retaining her British title and gaining selection for next year's European and World Championships.
Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club welcomes skaters of all experience levels.
The club trains at Ely's Paradise Sports Centre every Saturday afternoon.