Sixth Annual Sutton Beast Race Takes Place
RUNNING THE sixth annual Sutton Beast race, so called because of the gruelling terrain over which the seven miles is run, was held last Sunday as part of the Feast Week celebrations. In warm and windy conditions, the 68 runners achieved many personal best
THE sixth annual Sutton Beast race, so called because of the gruelling terrain over which the seven miles is run, was held last Sunday as part of the Feast Week celebrations.
In warm and windy conditions, the 68 runners achieved many personal best performances, supported by good crowds both along the route and at the start/finish area.
Ben Baldelli (Cambridge) was again the winner in a fast time of 39 mins 12 secs, with Stephen Pettit and John Manlow (both Ely Runners) second and third. Ely runner Daisy Glover gave an exceptional performance to win the ladies race in 43.45 with Michelle Prior and Emma Hostler (both from Ramsey) in second and third positions.
You may also want to watch:
Other individual winners were Jude McCarthy (ladies 40-49), Sheila Shead (ladies 50+), David Philpott (men 45-54) and Ray Harding, Ely runner (55+).
Ely Runners took the team prize, their team of five including the four individual winners and Peter Harris.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station