Simpson propels Town to new high
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION Mildenhall Town 1 Needham Market 0 IN THE same week as he signed a one year extension to his contract, club captain Gareth Simpson fired Mildenhall nine points clear at the top. Simpson, who turns 27 next week and has comm
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Mildenhall Town 1
Needham Market 0
IN THE same week as he signed a one year extension to his contract, club captain Gareth Simpson fired Mildenhall nine points clear at the top.
Simpson, who turns 27 next week and has committed his future to Mildenhall until May 2008, scored his eighth league goal of the season to secure all three points.
The win against their second-placed opponents will be a massive boost to Town's title hopes and their main threat now appears to come from third-placed Wroxham who are eleven points adrift with five games in hand.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 5 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 8 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
It was an open first half with both teams looking to attack.
Mildenhall stopper Ben Nower pulled off a stunning save from point blank range before Glen Snell fired a free-kick just over Nower's crossbar.
Niall Inman fired the hosts' solitary first-half effort straight at the goalkeeper. Mildenhall created all the pressure in the early stages of the second period and were rewarded when Simpson popped up in the area to finish in the 54th minute after Paul Miles' crisp pass was dummied by Liam Harrold.
Needham's left winger Daniel Thrower then skimmed the post before substitute Coren Hardy was denied by good goalkeeping after neat link-up play with Craig Hammmond.
Needham pushed hard for the equaliser in a frantic final few minutes but the Mildenhall backline stood strong.
n Mildenhall make the long trip to County Durham for an FA Vase fifth round match against Billington Snythonia on Saturday and they play Wisbech at home in the league on Tuesday.