Simpson propels Town to new high
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION Mildenhall Town 1 Needham Market 0 IN THE same week as he signed a one year extension to his contract, club captain Gareth Simpson fired Mildenhall nine points clear at the top. Simpson, who turns 27 next week and has comm
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Mildenhall Town 1
Needham Market 0
IN THE same week as he signed a one year extension to his contract, club captain Gareth Simpson fired Mildenhall nine points clear at the top.
You may also want to watch:
Simpson, who turns 27 next week and has committed his future to Mildenhall until May 2008, scored his eighth league goal of the season to secure all three points.
The win against their second-placed opponents will be a massive boost to Town's title hopes and their main threat now appears to come from third-placed Wroxham who are eleven points adrift with five games in hand.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
It was an open first half with both teams looking to attack.
Mildenhall stopper Ben Nower pulled off a stunning save from point blank range before Glen Snell fired a free-kick just over Nower's crossbar.
Niall Inman fired the hosts' solitary first-half effort straight at the goalkeeper. Mildenhall created all the pressure in the early stages of the second period and were rewarded when Simpson popped up in the area to finish in the 54th minute after Paul Miles' crisp pass was dummied by Liam Harrold.
Needham's left winger Daniel Thrower then skimmed the post before substitute Coren Hardy was denied by good goalkeeping after neat link-up play with Craig Hammmond.
Needham pushed hard for the equaliser in a frantic final few minutes but the Mildenhall backline stood strong.
n Mildenhall make the long trip to County Durham for an FA Vase fifth round match against Billington Snythonia on Saturday and they play Wisbech at home in the league on Tuesday.