Ely racer Mark Murfitt and his partner set a consistent pace and it turns out to be part of a winning formula at Silverstone
- Credit: Archant
Ely racer Mark Murfitt enjoyed a winning start to the season with a double victory in the Britcar Endurance Series at Silverstone last Saturday.
Mark and co-driver Michael Broadhurst took their Fox Motorsport Mercedes-AMG GT4, which is supported by Murfitts Industries, to the top step of the podium after twice chasing down success late on.
Having qualified on pole position in Class 4, which caters for GT4 cars like the Mercedes, Mark and Michael set a consistent pace in each of the hour-long races and benefitted from slick pitwork from the Fox team during the mandatory mid-race driver changes.
“We had a win in the GT Cup at the last event I competed in last year, and now we’ve kicked off the new season in even better form,” said Mark, who is in only his third season of competition.
“The work we’ve done in winter testing has been extremely productive and leaves me feeling much more comfortable inside the Mercedes-AMG. I’m sure that, together with Fox, Mikey and I can improve on our performances from last year.”
Mark and the Fox Motorsport team, who are based in Maldon, Essex, used the event as a warm-up for their main-season programme in the British GT
Championship, which gets underway at Oulton Park, Cheshire, on Easter weekend.
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 7 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 8 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 9 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
- 10 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
They finished sixth in the GT4 Pro-Am points table last year with a best result of third at Snetterton in May.