Sign up for this year’s Grunty Fen Half-Marathon
THE Ely Standard has teamed up with the Ely Runners for the 2011 Ely Standard Grunty Fen Half-Marathon, the 21st running of the popular annual event.
We are urging all aspiring athletes, track starlets or even those who are just looking for a challenge to sign up.
We will once again be sponsoring this year’s race and we are keen to get the people of East Cambridgeshire and beyond trained and ready in time for the starter’s horn on Sunday, September 11.
The race, now benefiting from chip timing, is a 13.1 mile circuit across flat Fenland roads and footpaths starting at 10.30am from Witchford Village College with everybody aged 17 and over eligible to sign up.
All runners who finish the race will receive a commemorative gold-style medal and �5 Sweatshop voucher with cash prizes for the top three male and female finishers with the first male and female home set to receive the classic Grunty Fen Shield and a voucher for a pair of running shoes. There will also be prizes available for first male and female teams.
You may also want to watch:
For those looking for something a little less intensive the club’s junior section are hosting a one mile Fun Run starting at 10.45am. All are welcome to this event and the club encourages families to give it a go.
The Ely Standard photographer will be in attendance on the day so be sure to wear your best smile and finest running gear and look out for your results and position in the September 15 edition of the paper which will feature a complete list of everybody involved on the day as well as the best snaps.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
With 370 runners already signed-up the half-marathon is filling up fast, to enter go to www.gruntyfen.co.uk, the cost is �15 for affiliated runners and �17 for those non-affiliated with entries closing on 7th September. Entry for the Fun Run is �2 on the day.