Sides fall at the first hurdle in cup
CAMBS INVITATION CUP FIRST ROUND SOHAM Town Rangers and Ely City both departed from the competition at the first hurdle. Midfielder Liam Eley made his debut for Rangers in the tie at Histon Reserves, but his side gifted the home side s Jamie Barker two
CAMBS INVITATION CUP FIRST ROUND
SOHAM Town Rangers and Ely City both departed from the competition at the first hurdle.
Midfielder Liam Eley made his debut for Rangers in the tie at Histon Reserves, but his side gifted the home side's Jamie Barker two goals in the opening eight minutes.
Neil Kennedy's downward header made it 3-0 in the 49th minute, and Adam Dalby's wind-assisted effort from the left wing clinched a 4-1 win after former Histon player Charles Libam had pulled one back for Soham with 16 minutes remaining.
A healthy crowd of 237 saw Ely City edged out 2-1 by mighty visitors Cambridge City on the same evening.
Josh Simpson and Tom Youngs gave Cambridge a two-goal lead in the opening half-an-hour, but Ely got back in the tie when a Jamie Alsop corner somehow found its way past the keeper and into the net.
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 10 Poet, Jo, shares poem in memory of sister to mark World Cancer Day
Dean Blackman's 54th minute glancing header against the foot of the post was the nearest that Ely came to equalising however.