Sides fall at the first hurdle in cup
CAMBS INVITATION CUP FIRST ROUND SOHAM Town Rangers and Ely City both departed from the competition at the first hurdle. Midfielder Liam Eley made his debut for Rangers in the tie at Histon Reserves, but his side gifted the home side s Jamie Barker two
CAMBS INVITATION CUP FIRST ROUND
SOHAM Town Rangers and Ely City both departed from the competition at the first hurdle.
Midfielder Liam Eley made his debut for Rangers in the tie at Histon Reserves, but his side gifted the home side's Jamie Barker two goals in the opening eight minutes.
Neil Kennedy's downward header made it 3-0 in the 49th minute, and Adam Dalby's wind-assisted effort from the left wing clinched a 4-1 win after former Histon player Charles Libam had pulled one back for Soham with 16 minutes remaining.
A healthy crowd of 237 saw Ely City edged out 2-1 by mighty visitors Cambridge City on the same evening.
Josh Simpson and Tom Youngs gave Cambridge a two-goal lead in the opening half-an-hour, but Ely got back in the tie when a Jamie Alsop corner somehow found its way past the keeper and into the net.
- 1 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 4 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 5 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 6 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 7 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 8 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 9 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 10 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
Dean Blackman's 54th minute glancing header against the foot of the post was the nearest that Ely came to equalising however.