Sides fall at the first hurdle in cup
CAMBS INVITATION CUP FIRST ROUND SOHAM Town Rangers and Ely City both departed from the competition at the first hurdle. Midfielder Liam Eley made his debut for Rangers in the tie at Histon Reserves, but his side gifted the home side s Jamie Barker two
CAMBS INVITATION CUP FIRST ROUND
SOHAM Town Rangers and Ely City both departed from the competition at the first hurdle.
Midfielder Liam Eley made his debut for Rangers in the tie at Histon Reserves, but his side gifted the home side's Jamie Barker two goals in the opening eight minutes.
Neil Kennedy's downward header made it 3-0 in the 49th minute, and Adam Dalby's wind-assisted effort from the left wing clinched a 4-1 win after former Histon player Charles Libam had pulled one back for Soham with 16 minutes remaining.
You may also want to watch:
A healthy crowd of 237 saw Ely City edged out 2-1 by mighty visitors Cambridge City on the same evening.
Josh Simpson and Tom Youngs gave Cambridge a two-goal lead in the opening half-an-hour, but Ely got back in the tie when a Jamie Alsop corner somehow found its way past the keeper and into the net.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
Dean Blackman's 54th minute glancing header against the foot of the post was the nearest that Ely came to equalising however.