Shutout cheers boss
ELY City manager Dennis Lightning was delighted with his team s clean sheet and three points from Saturday s 1-0 win at Hadleigh United. Robbie Mason s goal early in the second half was enough to lift City into a mid-table position in the Ridgeons First D
ELY City manager Dennis Lightning was delighted with his team's clean sheet and three points from Saturday's 1-0 win at Hadleigh United.
Robbie Mason's goal early in the second half was enough to lift City into a mid-table position in the Ridgeons First Division.
Lightning said: "We played really well and after conceding so many goals in recent matches, it was nice to get a clean sheet.
"It was a difficult match but we defended really well and should have been two or three goals up at the break.
"We have several new players in defence but we have worked hard in training and the communication in the back four was excellent.
"It would have been nice to put away a few more of our chances but their keeper made some very good saves."
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Ely Road closed as pedestrian hit in Littleport
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 6 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 9 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
- 10 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
Chris Hunter made his debut for City and he may well figure in Saturday's FA Cup preliminary round game at home to Boston Town.
However, Brady Stone's recovery from injury is not going to plan and he is likely to face treatment from a specialist before his return.
Fellow defender Tony Brown was expected to train this week but Dean Blackman is suspended for Saturday's match.