Seven-heaven for tantalizing Tigers as league leaders Ely surge to seventh consecutive win

Ely Tigers' Daniel Coulson touches down for a try. Pictures: Steve Wells

Ely Tigers' Daniel Coulson touches down for a try. Pictures: Steve Wells - Credit: Archant

Ely Tigers roared to a seventh consecutive win and moved four points clear at the top of the league after brushing past Ipswich Y.M. with relative ease on Saturday afternoon.

The Tigers, playing their first home match of 2016, began on the front foot and were all over the opposition from kick off, and their slick attacking was rewarded with a 48-5 victory.

Alex Milne was able to break the line and offload to Joel Scott Paul on the wing. He drew the last defender and popped the ball back in to Harry Rogerson in support who opened the scoring with an unconverted try.

A dominant Ely maul was brought to a halt on the try-line, and a piece of quick thinking from man-of-the-match Adam Featherstone allowed him to quickly pick the ball and touch down after creeping in behind the Ipswich defence.

Soon after, Ely knocked on in their twenty-two. Ipswich passed from the scrum and a well-worked move straight off the training field saw the wing cut through Ely’s defensive line but was brought down by the last defender.

Ipswich recycled the ball quickly and forced it wide and the Y.M. wing touched down in the corner for an unconverted try.

In the last play of the half, the Tigers found themselves camped on the Y.M. try line. Some speedy hand-work saw the ball go wide to Tom Jackson who stepped his way through the line and offloaded to Scott Paul who touched down, adding the arrears afterwards.

Most Read

The second half was all about the Tigers as Y.M. were unable to score again and the Tigers’ attackers put the game to bed with some excellent passing.

Harry Rogerson got his brace after he darted off the back of a rolling maul and touched down for an unconverted try and David Bainsfair scored moments later when Jackson broke the line again and offloaded for him to touch down in the corner for a converted try.

A few moments later, Mitchell Kennett couldn’t quite make it over the line but was awarded a penalty try as the opponent was offside, hindering the play.

Again Ipswich were penalised in their twenty-two area, this time Dan Coulson took it quickly and dashed through the defence for a converted try under the posts.

In the last play of the game Ely were awarded another penalty and Scott Paul added the final three points to bring the score to 48-5 and chalk up another win for the Greene King Eastern Counties Division One leaders.

Ely will be looking to extend their lead at the top next week when they travel to Norwich to take on Crusaders (2.15pm).