Senior Divison Football Round-up

JUNIOR FOOTBALL Senior Division A SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves enjoyed a few hours at the top of the Senior Division A table after Friday night s home victory against Debden. Tommy Crawford flicked the ball in at the far post to open the scoring at the sta


Senior Division A

SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves enjoyed a few hours at the top of the Senior Division A table after Friday night's home victory against Debden.

Tommy Crawford flicked the ball in at the far post to open the scoring at the start of the second half, and substitute Jordan Alexander struck his fourth goal in three games to clinch the points for Soham.

Senior Division B

Haddenham Rovers came from a goal down to keep up their promotion drive with a 3-1 win at Great Chesterford.

Most Read

Phil Harle cancelled out the home side's lead with a close range effort, and with just five minutes remaining Tom Moden lobbed the goalkeeper from 25 yards to put Haddenham in front for the first time.

Then in stoppage time substitute Dave Gipp added a third goal after good work by Kenny Holmes.

Soham United meanwhile squandered a two-goal advantage at Outwell Swifts.

Chris Lam and Jonathan Brown scored to put Soham in the driving seat, but Outwell scored a penalty with 15 minutes remaining and then grabbed an equaliser four minutes from the end.

"They (Outwell) looked the likeliest winners at the finish," groaned United player-manager Andy Parker after the 2-2 draw.

Littleport Town meanwhile suffered their fifth defeat in a row, losing 3-0 at home to Helions Bumpstead.

Creake Shield First Round

Sutton United are the only local side currently through to the next round of the competition after winning 4-0 at Buckden.

Russell Mansfield opened the scoring after being set up by Ryan Bate, and Matthew Keys scored either side of the interval to put the visitors in command.

Billy Tillyard's effort was then helped over the line by a Buckden defender as Sutton ran out comfortable winners.

Witchford '96 drew 3-3 at Bottisham Sports after extra-time, but must replay the tie because a penalty shoot-out did not take place afterwards.

Stretham Hotspurs meanwhile crashed 5-2 at home to Whittlesford United Reserves, Ely City A lost 5-1 at Balsham, and Pymoor also conceded five goals as they fell without scoring at home to Wisbech St Mary.

Division 2B

The Vine took three unexpected points from their trip to Wisbech St Mary Reserves.

Justin Challis opened the scoring for them, and Gurpal Darar claimed the 2-1 winner.

Division 3B

Burwell Swifts continued their sensational start to the season with a 6-1 win against previously unbeaten Fordham Reserves.

Jamie Peacock put Fordham in front after 10 minutes, but his side trailed 3-1 at the interval and finished up a well-beaten side.

Tom Thatcher (4) and Carl Saxby (2) were the players on target for Burwll.

Isleham United meanwhile opened their programme with a 3-2 home victory against Cottenham United A.

Ex-Fordham players Steve Newman and Sam James put the hosts 2-0 up, and Michael Reynold then scored what proved to be the winning goal, with Cottenham pulling two goals back in the last 15 minutes.

Little Downham Swifts made it three draws from three matches as they were held 1-1 at Bluntisham Rangers Reserves, but there were defeats for Ely Crusaders - 2-0 at Hemingfords United A - and Soham United Reserves - 5-2 at home to Wisbech St Mary A- and both sides remain pointless.

Division 4B

Ben Reed gave Wicken Amateurs a first minute lead at The Vine Reserves, but his side were otherwise poor and eventually went down 4-2.

Mark Finbow levelled the scores for The Vine, and Pierce Mason put them ahead on the stroke of half-time.

Grant Spencer then made it 3-1 on the hour, and substitute Simon Thorpe made the points safe nine minutes from time after Dane Turner had pulled one back for Wicken by nodding home Reed's cross.

An own goal accounted for Haddenham Rovers Reserves' contribution to the scoreline in a 5-1 home defeat by Earith United.

Division 5B

Burwell Swifts Reserves maintained their 100% start to the campaign with a 2-1 victory at home to Swavesey Institute Reserves.

Josh Forden and David Fordham scored the goals for Burwell in that game, but two goals failed to save Isleham United Reserves from defeat at Papworth Reserves.

Matt Rowley and Nick Samuels (penalty) twice got Isleham back on level terms, but poor defending gifted Papworth all three of their goals.

Division 5C

Witchford '96 Reserves won by the odd goal in seven at home to Chatteris Fen Tigers, but Little Downham Swifts Reserves went down 2-1 at home to Coldham United.

Sunday Football

Witchford Raiders cruised through to the next round of the M & E Freeman Cup by thrashing Wilburton Albion 17-0, and progress was also made by local sides in the First Round of the Shelford Energy Cup.

Mel Pryer (2), Stephen Evans and Joe Featherstone were the players on target as Ely Pymore Rangers 3G won 4-0 at Newmarket Cherry Tree, and Little Downham United also found the net four times as they beat Sawston Athletic 4-1.

Wicken Maids Head had Liam Eley (2), Sean Lambert (2), Ed Richardson (2) and Ian Walters on target in a 7-0 win against Prince of Wales Newmarket.

In the Senior Division Triple-S shared the spoils at Bar Hill, with Adam Clements and Scott Fretwell on target in a 2-2 draw.