Seesaw week for Littleport and Fordham

PREMIER DIVISION LITTLEPORT Town moved into fourth spot by winning 3-2 at Needingworth United in midweek, but were overtaken by Fordham again on Saturday after only managing a draw with Sawston United on Saturday. Goals from Chris Lupson, Chris Wil


LITTLEPORT Town moved into fourth spot by winning 3-2 at Needingworth United in midweek, but were overtaken by Fordham again on Saturday after only managing a draw with Sawston United on Saturday.

Goals from Chris Lupson, Chris Wilson and Ben Layn secured the midweek win, and after 'Port went 2-0 down on Saturday, Sean Ambrose and Layn ensured the points were shared.

Fordham's elevation to fourth spot resulted from their 2-0 home win over lowly Great Paxton.

John Sands rounded the goalkeeper for Fordham's opener, and the impressive Wayne Bell set up Lee Bennett to score his first goal for the club.


Most Read

ELY City Reserves thrashed rock-bottom Bluntisham to go three points clear.

Richie Murfitt and David Cornwell both scored four as City ran out 8-1 winners.

Fourth-placed Soham Town Rangers Reserves kept themselves in contention by hammering Brampton 7-2 at home.

Brett Fuller scored first and Paul Jones scored last, but in between it was Alex Irvine - usually with the assistance of impressive Scott Fretwell - who put Brampton to the sword with a five-goal haul.


MILTON'S title aspirations were dealt a severe blow as they suffered their first home defeat of the season - 4-2 against Haddenham Rovers.

Will Ludbrooke struck in the opening minute, and Kenny Holmes made it 2-1 from the penalty spot after Milton had briefly got back on level terms.

Jamie Peacock's header produced an interval score of 3-1, and Haddenham - for whom Geoff Buck was outstanding - added a conclusive fourth goal through Holmes with 10 minutes remaining.

Soham United, meanwhile, suffered a potentially damaging 2-1 home defeat against fellow strugglers Swavesey

Institute and - ignoring the bottom two sides - there is now only one point separating the four teams who are battling to avoid the remaining two relegation spots in this section.


LITTLEPORT Town Reserves shared the spoils in a goalless encounter at Eaton Socon Reserves, but remain in contention near the top of the table.


ELY City A missed a first-half penalty but still managed to extend their 11-match unbeaten record with a 2-1 victory at Newmarket White Lion.

Tom Hoppitt gave Ely a deserved lead and Stephen Tuck finished off a Matt Brodie corner to make the interval score 2-0.

Newmarket pulled one back in the second half, but City dug deep and managed to hold on for all three points.

Promotion rivals Sutton United won by the odd goal in five at Lode thanks to goals from Matthew Keys (2) and Peter Wallace, and Witchford '96 also returned to winning ways at the expense of Milton Reserves.

Aaron Spencer scored twice early on, and Billy Bowers also grabbed a brace to go with Darren Rumfitt's delightful chip as the hosts established an unassailable

5-1 interval advantage, and the final score was 6-3.

Second-bottom Isleham United are now only eight points adrift of Stretham

Hotspurs with four games in hand after beating their local rivals 1-0.

Neil Parr scored with a cracking drive on the hour after Stretham failed to clear, but Isleham's caretaker manager Colin Sheldrick admitted his side had been a shade fortunate to win.

"Stretham are a decent side," he said, adding: "Our goalkeeper - Gary Hounsome - was the difference."


LITTLE Downham Swifts improved their survival prospects, moving four points clear of the bottom two after a 3-2 win against mid-table Dullingham.

Jamie Linney and Scott Fuller goals put Little Downham back in charge after Dullingham had taken a 20th-minute lead.

Dullingham equalised in the second half, but 16-year old Luke Williams curled home a brilliant 25-yard winner.

The Vine remain unbeaten in the league but slipped to fifth after drawing 3-3 against Fordham Reserves.

Sam James put Fordham ahead, but James Smith levelled with a 20-yard half-volley and man-of-the-match James Angier added a second goal in the 55th minute.

Angier's second made it 3-1, but Fordham striker James scored his second successive hat-trick to earn a point.

Soham United Reserves fell further off the promotion pace with a 4-0 defeat at leaders Wisbech St Mary Reserves.


HADDENHAM Rovers grabbed their fourth win in a row as goals from Phil Harle and James Tasker were sufficient to overcome bottom club Swavesey Institute Reserves. The 2-1 success was vital in keeping Rovers out of the bottom two, because fellow strugglers Willingham Reserves also won at the expense of fast-fading leaders Wisbech St Mary A.

Promotion hopefuls Mepal Sports and Burwell Swifts drew 0-0, perhaps not surprisingly, considering that between them the teams have scored only two goals in their last seven matches.

Ely Crusaders took the lead against

Sutton United Reserves when Ross Elliott drove home from 18 yards, and a well-taken goal from 'Amir' made the final score 2-0 with five minutes left.


WICKEN Amateurs became the first team to lower the colours of Outwell Swifts Reserves in the league by coming from behind to win Saturday's encounter 4-1. The visitors led after just six minutes, but the Amateurs went 2-1 up thanks to a Josh Woodroffe brace and an Outwell penalty miss.

Nathan Sheriff made it 3-1 from the penalty spot, and with 25 minutes remaining, Petersen's low corner was stabbed home by Sherriff.

The Vine Reserves also had three goals to spare as they took all three points at Isleham United Reserves.

Mark Higginbottom, Pierce Mason and Justin Challis were all on target in the opening 23 minutes, and Mark Finbow's 40th-minute dismissal - for a second bookable offence - made little difference.

Brian Halliwell, Scott Linney (penalty) and Paul Bone were the players on target as Little Downham Swifts Reserves slumped to a 6-3 defeat at Cottenham United B, but Littleport Town A had a much better time of it at home to bottom of the table Dataracks Elite.

Scott Dews and Mick Edwards both contributed hat-tricks, and they were joined on the scoresheet by Rob Scotney, Mark Yardy and Lee Yearn as 'Port ran out handsome 9-4 winners.