Sculling duo score Bedford win
ISLE of Ely sculling duo Laura Sibson and Phoebe Bradbury beat a strong field to win their women’s junior 15 doubles event
ISLE of Ely sculling duo Laura Sibson and Phoebe Bradbury beat a strong field to win their women’s junior 15 doubles event at the Star Club Head of the River race at Bedford at the weekend.
Sibson and Bradbury were without quadruple sculling crewmates Libby Milne and Nell Freeman, who has sustained an injury and is unable to race for two weeks.
With only the double scull event to focus on at Bedford, Sibson and Bradbury powered their way down the 2,000m course in the centre of the town, overtaking opposition from Bedford Modern School and almost catching the next boat before crossing the finishing line in a time of 8 minutes 33 seconds. This put the girls 40 seconds ahead of their nearest rivals and sealed an emphatic win for the Isle of Ely duo.
You may also want to watch:
Sibson and Bradbury, who attend the King’s School, Ely, were delighted with their win.
Coach Victor Bridges, said: “It’s a great shame we were unable to race our other double and the quad, due to injury, but Laura and Phoebe sculled well today and deserve their win.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer