School athletes on form
ATHLETES from the King s School, Ely, have been showing their promise both in track and field. Caroline Shropshire, 10, won the girls 800m with a run of 2:56.7 at the East Anglian Prep Schools Southern Area championships, in which 29 schools competed. Fe
ATHLETES from the King's School, Ely, have been showing their promise both in track and field.
Caroline Shropshire, 10, won the girls' 800m with a run of 2:56.7 at the East Anglian Prep Schools Southern Area championships, in which 29 schools competed.
Fellow Year 5 student Tatijana Allpress narrowly missed out on a medal when she cleared 3.48m to finish fourth in the high jump.
Athletes Oliver Diss and Flavia Kumar, both 14-year-old Year 8 pupils at King's Junior School, have qualified for the National Prep Schools Championships.
Oliver will run in the 800m and Flavia will compete in the triple jump at the championships to be held at Birmingham's Alexander Stadium on Monday.
Other King's pupils impressed in last week's Three Choirs competition against St John's and King's College School.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 3 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 10 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
Year 7 pupil David Scott was a triple winner in his age group, winning the high jump, long jump and 800m.
Caroline Shropshire celebrated a middle distance double when she won the 800m ahead of an all-boy field.
TWO promising rugby players from King's Junior School have received call-ups to Cambridgeshire's under-14 squad.
Year 8 students Theo Ogier and Sam Porter, both 13, earned their places after impressive performances in trials.
Both youngsters also play club rugby.
Theo plays for Ely Tigers and Sam for Shelford, where he won a player of the year award at the end of last season.