School athletes on form
ATHLETES from the King s School, Ely, have been showing their promise both in track and field. Caroline Shropshire, 10, won the girls 800m with a run of 2:56.7 at the East Anglian Prep Schools Southern Area championships, in which 29 schools competed. Fe
ATHLETES from the King's School, Ely, have been showing their promise both in track and field.
Caroline Shropshire, 10, won the girls' 800m with a run of 2:56.7 at the East Anglian Prep Schools Southern Area championships, in which 29 schools competed.
Fellow Year 5 student Tatijana Allpress narrowly missed out on a medal when she cleared 3.48m to finish fourth in the high jump.
Athletes Oliver Diss and Flavia Kumar, both 14-year-old Year 8 pupils at King's Junior School, have qualified for the National Prep Schools Championships.
You may also want to watch:
Oliver will run in the 800m and Flavia will compete in the triple jump at the championships to be held at Birmingham's Alexander Stadium on Monday.
Other King's pupils impressed in last week's Three Choirs competition against St John's and King's College School.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 8 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 9 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
Year 7 pupil David Scott was a triple winner in his age group, winning the high jump, long jump and 800m.
Caroline Shropshire celebrated a middle distance double when she won the 800m ahead of an all-boy field.
TWO promising rugby players from King's Junior School have received call-ups to Cambridgeshire's under-14 squad.
Year 8 students Theo Ogier and Sam Porter, both 13, earned their places after impressive performances in trials.
Both youngsters also play club rugby.
Theo plays for Ely Tigers and Sam for Shelford, where he won a player of the year award at the end of last season.