Saturday football: ’Port thrilled to reach the final

PREMIER LEAGUE CUP SEMI-FINAL Littleport Town will meet Over Sports in the final of the competition after defeating hot favourites Sawston United in Saturday s semi-final. Port – who had not played for three weeks – looked surprisingly sharp in the openi


Littleport Town will meet Over Sports in the final of the competition after defeating hot favourites Sawston United in Saturday's semi-final.

'Port - who had not played for three weeks - looked surprisingly sharp in the opening 15 minutes, and Nicky Martin put them ahead with a fine half-volley from 12 yards.

Sawston equalised from the penalty spot after Matt Nixon committed a foul, but Littleport established a 2-1 lead at the interval which proved to be decisive.

Martin's corner kick caused problems in the United defence, and when the ball came back to him he fired it back into the top corner of the net to put the hosts ahead for a second time.

'Port finished the first half well on top, and although the league-leaders pressed for an equaliser in the second half it was the hosts who ran out deserved winners.

Most Read

Defender Ben Layn came in for his first start of the season after Matt Parry dropped out, and Kevin Hills also performed well in the back four as Littleport claimed a famous victory.


Short-handed Fordham surrendered the Premier Division points in their home clash with second-in-the-table Great Shelford, but with a little self-belief they might have fared better.

Adam Cummins twice went close, before pulling a goal back at the break, but Shelford extended their interval lead to 4-1 prior to Matt Almond's goal towards the finish which made the final score 4-2.


Soham Town Rangers Reserves kept up their promotion challenge with a 1-0 victory at Hardwick on Saturday.

They took the lead midway through the first half, when Matt Ogden scored with a perfectly placed lob, and although Hardwick twice came close to equalising, Rangers managed to soak up the pressure.

Kevin Brasher was man of the match for Soham, but in the second half Sam Cooper and Gareth Randall both went close to extending Soham's advantage.


Soham United now appear doomed to relegation after losing a vital six-pointer at JM Sports, a result which now leaves them nine points adrift of safety.

Soham hit the bar three times through Lee Heading (twice) and Chris Lam, but otherwise performed ineptly and failed to protect emergency goalkeeper Andy Parker in their most important match of the campaign.

Sean Hogg pulled a goal back late on, but his side already trailed 4-0 at that stage and it will now take a miracle to prevent them from making an immediate return to 1B football.

Haddenham Rovers made Soham's situation even worse by scoring the only goal of the game in their home clash with middle-of-the-table Milton.

Both sides created chances, and although Milton hit the post twice it was Haddenham who broke the deadlock when Tom Moden scored what proved to be the winner with 20 minutes remaining.

Rovers have unfortunately lost one of their most ardent supporters as Les Brand - a supporter of the club for 50 years - passed away last week.

Ely Crusaders continued their recent fall from grace with a 2-2 home draw against struggling Swavesey Institute.

Lee Moll cancelled out Ely's first half deficit with a blistering shot into the roof of the net, but his second goal of the afternoon - from a Simon Farrow cross - was only sufficient to earn Crusaders a share of the spoils.

There now seems little doubt that Ely City Reserves will clinch one of the two promotion spots available after a convincing 5-1 home victory against Debden.

Steve Pollard opened the scoring with a cross-cum-shot, and Liam Hart made the interval score 2-1 after the visitors had managed to pull one back.

Pollard extended Ely's advantage with another fluke effort however, and Dave Cornwell made it 4-1 before man-of-the-match Andrew Lee and Gary Dewsbury combined for Cornwell to score again in the closing stages.


Littleport Town Reserves look sure to be relegated now after going down by the only goal of the game at Waterbeach Reserves on Saturday.


Stretham Hotspurs returned to form with an impressive 3-0 victory at Bluntisham Rangers Reserves.

Alex Gray broke through to open the scoring, and Darren Woodbridge made it 2-0 from close range before Richard Gray - on as substitute - clinched the points with a third goal midway through the second half.

Isleham United also had three goals to spare as they defeated Somersham Town Reserves 4-1 at home, but Ely City A failed to score as they crashed 3-0 in their home clash with Huntingdon United RGE.


Witchford '96 kept their promotion hopes alive by coming from behind to record a 4-2 victory at Dullingham.

Billy Bowers put them in front with a bullet header from Ross Spencer's corner, but the hosts managed to establish a 2-1 lead during a scrappy first half.

Colin Coulson redressed the balance after Ross Spencer had nodded Ally McDonald's cross into the danger zone however, and Aaron Spencer's double ensured that Witchford would take all three points at the final whistle.

Soham United Reserves beat West Row Gunners Reserves 3-0 at home, and The Vine were also successful on home territory as they grabbed the only goal of the game at home to short-handed Fordham Reserves.

Little Downham Swifts faced a hopeless task against leaders Wisbech St Mary, and perhaps performed creditably in only going down by five goals to nil.


Pymoor FC's promotion hopes took a knock as they were held 2-2 in their match at Willingham Reserves.

Willingham took the lead with a dubious penalty, but Jason Cridford levelled the scores soon aftewards.

Willingham - whose goalkeeper produced an inspired performance - went in front again during the second half, but subsitute Tony Ure set up Cridford for his second goal of the afternoon to salvage a point.

Mepal Sports and Sutton United Reserves also settled for a share of the spoils in a local derby clash which could have gone either way.

Sean Bristow fired Sutton in front, but Mepal captain Tim Houghton - a former Sutton player - twice headed home to put his side in the driving seat.

Bristow matched Houghton by scoring his second goal of the afternoon however, and Richard Martin then gave United what looked to be a decisive advantage.

Mepal had other ideas however, and with time running out Giles Peacock and Paul Rayson combined for Guy Habbin to make the final score 3-3.

Burwell Swifts beat Haddenham Rovers Reserves 2-1 at home, but Wicken Amateurs were beaten -0 away by local rivals Exning Athletic.


Burwell Swifts Reserves easily won 5-1 at Walsoken United, but Littleport Town A found things rather more difficult as they eventually overcame local rivals Little Downham Swifts Reserves 2-1.