Sailors vie for Boxing Day crown
- Credit: Archant
Sailing Competitors were out in force for the annual Boxing Day races, at Roswell Pits, in Ely.
Five boats started the first race and Andy Wilcox, crewed by Scott Bilham, sailing an RS 400, soon found the lead.
Jack Knight, in a laser, and Simon Leeks, in a solo, vied for second place.
However, when times were corrected, Andy dropped to third, 12 seconds behind Knight, who was 36 seconds behind Simon Leeks.
The competitors warmed up at the break with coffee and mulled wine, with mince pies and stollen cake for extra sustenance.
You may also want to watch:
The racers made a great start to the second race but again Wilcox and Bilham found themselves leading the fleet. On corrected time, Leeks was crowned the winner and so retained the Boxing Day trophy.
Result . Simon Leeks (2 points), Jack Knight (4 points), Andy Wilcox and Scott Bilham (6 points), Simon Loach (10 points), Eric Christan (11 points).
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 10 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success