Sailors face a fickle breeze
THE summer series continued on Sunday when members of Ely Sailing Club and other competitors faced a fickle and balmy west/north-west breeze and hazy sunshine on Roswell lakes. The first race of the day started with the Enterprise of Bob Utteridge and Mar
THE summer series continued on Sunday when members of Ely Sailing Club and other competitors faced a fickle and balmy west/north-west breeze and hazy sunshine on Roswell lakes.
The first race of the day started with the Enterprise of Bob Utteridge and Marie Brown taking an instant lead, followed by Greg and Jordan Williams also in an Enterprise. Claire and Eric Christian continued their season-long battle in their single-handed Comets while the pack tussled for clear wind behind.
At the finish Utteridge and Brown had extended their lead to win comfortably and Claire Christian came ahead of her husband to take second and third respectively.
The Class races followed and, in the Enterprise fleet, Utteridge and Brown continued their good form, winning comfortably ahead of Hugh and Robbie Marshall.
You may also want to watch:
The Solos saw a close race between Gary Unglass and Alan White. Unglass led around the tricky course until the last beat, where he found a hole in the breeze, and allowed White to slip past and take the win.
Sixteen boats took to the water for the final race. All change in this race with Hugh and Robbie Marshall's Enterprise leading Alan Wight's Solo. Eric Christian followed in pursuit. With the first two boats heading for wrong mark, Christian took the lead, only to head off in the wrong direction and lose his advantage. The Marshalls held on for line honours. On handicap the Solo of Alan Wright won with Eric White beating his wife to take second.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 7 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry