Sailing season back under way
MORE than 20 sailors arrived at Roswell Pits in Ely for the start of the new sailing season on Sunday afternoon.
The Ely Sailing Club sailors were greeted with sunshine and a fickle force three south westerly wind.
There was a change to the order of events as the first race was a pursuit race in which the boats with the slowest handicap went off first followed by the remaining fleets at predetermined intervals, the fastest lasers going last. The race lasted for 45 minutes when the hooter sounded and the race officer noted the leading positions.
Simon Leeks had a hat-trick of wins in his solo during the afternoon and finished first in the pursuit race and won the handicap race on corrected time by 12 seconds from John Wells.
Alayne Seymour who helmed her first race since surgery last July sailed through the fleet, in her laser, to finish in third place, after starting last.
On Saturday evening club members gathered at Strikes in Ely for a session of ten pin bowling as part of their launching social event. The lane winners were Simon Loach and Gary Ungless who tied on 109, Jonathan Griffin 120, Greg Williams 109, Kevin Levett 99, Clare Christan 129 and Carole Gunthorpe 117. After supper in the clubhouse, commodore Gary Ungless presented Clare Christan with her trophy.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 7 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
1. Simon Leeks 2. Scott Bilham and Jack Cammann (enterprise) 3. Alayne Seymour 4. Gary Ungless (solo).
1.Simon Leeks 2. John Wells (laser) 3. John Cant (laser radial) 4. Alan White (solo)
Solo class races:
Race one: 1. Simon Leeks 2. Gary Ungless 3. Alan White.
Race two: 1. Simon Leeks 2. Alan White
Laser class races:
Race one: 1. John Wells 2. Alayne Seymour 3. John Camt 4. Jack Knight
Race two: 1. John Wells 2. John Cant 3 Alayne Seymour 4. Jack Knight
Enterprise class races:
Race one: 1. Kevin Bilham and Jamie Cammann 2. Scott Bilham and Jack Cammann 3. Eric and Clare Christan
Race two: 1. Greg and Jordan Williams