Sailing season back under way
MORE than 20 sailors arrived at Roswell Pits in Ely for the start of the new sailing season on Sunday afternoon.
The Ely Sailing Club sailors were greeted with sunshine and a fickle force three south westerly wind.
There was a change to the order of events as the first race was a pursuit race in which the boats with the slowest handicap went off first followed by the remaining fleets at predetermined intervals, the fastest lasers going last. The race lasted for 45 minutes when the hooter sounded and the race officer noted the leading positions.
Simon Leeks had a hat-trick of wins in his solo during the afternoon and finished first in the pursuit race and won the handicap race on corrected time by 12 seconds from John Wells.
Alayne Seymour who helmed her first race since surgery last July sailed through the fleet, in her laser, to finish in third place, after starting last.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday evening club members gathered at Strikes in Ely for a session of ten pin bowling as part of their launching social event. The lane winners were Simon Loach and Gary Ungless who tied on 109, Jonathan Griffin 120, Greg Williams 109, Kevin Levett 99, Clare Christan 129 and Carole Gunthorpe 117. After supper in the clubhouse, commodore Gary Ungless presented Clare Christan with her trophy.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
1. Simon Leeks 2. Scott Bilham and Jack Cammann (enterprise) 3. Alayne Seymour 4. Gary Ungless (solo).
1.Simon Leeks 2. John Wells (laser) 3. John Cant (laser radial) 4. Alan White (solo)
Solo class races:
Race one: 1. Simon Leeks 2. Gary Ungless 3. Alan White.
Race two: 1. Simon Leeks 2. Alan White
Laser class races:
Race one: 1. John Wells 2. Alayne Seymour 3. John Camt 4. Jack Knight
Race two: 1. John Wells 2. John Cant 3 Alayne Seymour 4. Jack Knight
Enterprise class races:
Race one: 1. Kevin Bilham and Jamie Cammann 2. Scott Bilham and Jack Cammann 3. Eric and Clare Christan
Race two: 1. Greg and Jordan Williams