Sailing - Sailing club celebrates 60 years
FIFTY members of Ely Sailing Club attended their annual laying-up supper and prize giving to celebrate the 60th year of the club on Saturday. Commodore Claire Christan welcomed the Commodore of Paxton Lakes Sailing Club, Harry West, and the Rear Commodore
FIFTY members of Ely Sailing Club attended their annual laying-up supper and prize giving to celebrate the 60th year of the club on Saturday.
Commodore Claire Christan welcomed the Commodore of Paxton Lakes Sailing Club, Harry West, and the Rear Commodore of the Cam Sailing Club, Rick Benson.
Mrs Christan gave a resume of the year, which included the 60th anniversary dinner dance and the anniversary races and commented on how the club planned to work with the new owners of Roswell Lakes.
She presented trophies to the winners with a pottery keepsake and the roll of honour was read out by her husband Eric, assisted by Jill Sallis.
You may also want to watch:
The winners were as follows:
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
Spring Handicap - Simon Leeks. Summer Handicap - Eric Christan. August Mini Handicap - Simon Leeks.
Autumn Handicap - Gerald Copsey. Thurmott Shield for total handicap points - Gary Ungless.
Norman Brettell Cup for Cadet with total handicap points - John Cant. Thursday Evening Shield - Alan White.
Enterprise Lincoln Cup for best ten races - Bob Utteridge. Runner-up Hugh Marshall.
Enterprise Kempton Bowl for Aggregate points - Bob Utteridge.
Solo Salver for best ten races - Simon Leeks. Runner Up Alan White.
Solo trophy for aggregate points - Gary Ungless.
Laser Quality Cup - John Cant. Runner-up Mark Loach.
Laser Aggregate Points Trophy - John Cant.
One Day events
Easter Egg Trophy - Simon Leeks
Camweld Trophy - Simon Leeks; Whitsun Cup - Simon Leeks; Bob Utteridge Trophy for Husband and Wife Race - Eric and Clare Christan; Roswell Monster - Gerald Copsey; Baby Monster for Crews - Anthony and Nicholas Copsey; George Washington Trophy - David Burch; Cadet Bop - Rory Gilmour
Anniversary Races: 1st Simon Leeks. Runner-up Gerald Copsey; 1st Lady Clare Christan crewed by Marie Brown; 1st Youth - John Cant;
Dr K S Maurice Smith Trophy for Crewing - Jordan Williams
Ships Wheel - David Birch; Junior Ships Wheel - John Cant; Ernie Wootton Trophy for Clubmanship - Joint Winners - Eric Christan and Bob Utteridge; Queen Duck - Susie Sallis; Traveller's Trophy - for flying the flag of Ely Sailing Club away from Roswell Waters - John Cant.