Sailing: Leeks plugs gap to sail to victory
SIMON Leeks took the August Tankard after winning all three of the Ely Sailing Club s handicap races at Roswell Lakes on Sunday. The gusty north-westerly wind made sailing very unpredictable, with strong wind on parts of the Lakes, whilst other parts rema
SIMON Leeks took the August Tankard after winning all three of the Ely Sailing Club's handicap races at Roswell Lakes on Sunday.
The gusty north-westerly wind made sailing very unpredictable, with strong wind on parts of the Lakes, whilst other parts remained flat and calm. Racing tended to be match racing with Leeks in his Solo and Gerald and Nicholas Copsey vying for line honours in the second and third races.
Even though Gerald Copsey had line honours, he lost out twice on corrected time, so Leeks has another three wins to his credit. In the first race Copsey was ahead of Alex Tory by 30 seconds.
Race One (6 boats): 1.Simon Leeks. 2. Alex Tory 3. Graham Tory (Solo).
You may also want to watch:
Race Two: 1.Simon Leeks. 2. Gerald and Nicholas Copsey ( National Twelve) 3. Alex Tory
Race Three:1.Simon Leeks. 2. Gerald & Nicholas Copsey. 3. Gary Ungless (Solo).
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
On Saturday there will be an Open Meeting for Toppers starting at 10.30am. On Sunday there will be four handicap races for the Roswell Monster starting at 11.30am.