Sailing: Leeks plugs gap to sail to victory
SIMON Leeks took the August Tankard after winning all three of the Ely Sailing Club s handicap races at Roswell Lakes on Sunday. The gusty north-westerly wind made sailing very unpredictable, with strong wind on parts of the Lakes, whilst other parts rema
SIMON Leeks took the August Tankard after winning all three of the Ely Sailing Club's handicap races at Roswell Lakes on Sunday.
The gusty north-westerly wind made sailing very unpredictable, with strong wind on parts of the Lakes, whilst other parts remained flat and calm. Racing tended to be match racing with Leeks in his Solo and Gerald and Nicholas Copsey vying for line honours in the second and third races.
Even though Gerald Copsey had line honours, he lost out twice on corrected time, so Leeks has another three wins to his credit. In the first race Copsey was ahead of Alex Tory by 30 seconds.
Race One (6 boats): 1.Simon Leeks. 2. Alex Tory 3. Graham Tory (Solo).
Race Two: 1.Simon Leeks. 2. Gerald and Nicholas Copsey ( National Twelve) 3. Alex Tory
Race Three:1.Simon Leeks. 2. Gerald & Nicholas Copsey. 3. Gary Ungless (Solo).
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 4 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 5 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 6 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 7 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 8 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 9 Woman dies following crash on A1303
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
On Saturday there will be an Open Meeting for Toppers starting at 10.30am. On Sunday there will be four handicap races for the Roswell Monster starting at 11.30am.